PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with these numbers?

iClown
04/22/2011, 09:14 PM
**Extra note: I'm preparing my tank for some soft corals (torch or frogspawn) so this is why I'm doing the following. The #s for Alk & Calcium is incorrect currently due to the previous Instant Ocean Sea Salt that was used. Now using REEF CRYSTALS to fix the #s.

So I did a new batch of Reef Crystal water (2 gallon) and my readings for the "water still in the bucket" this time are:

Alk: 11dKH
Cal:500 ppm
PH: 8.0
SG: 1.026

After introducing the new saltwater into the Display tank, it read:

Alk: 15 dKH
Cal: 340 ppm
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.024

I went to two different LFS to test my water and the readings are:

Store #1 using API Reef Master Test Kit:

Alk: 12 dKH
Cal: 480 ppm
PH: 8.4
SG: 1.024

Store #2 using ELOS test kits:

Alk: 13-14
Cal: 350 ppm
PH: 8.2
SG: 1.022
Mg: 1250
PO4: .024-.5

Any comments or ideas to what's going on with my numbers compared to store #1 and #2's????

bertoni
04/22/2011, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the world of aquarium test kits. :( I'm not sure what to believe. Personally, I'd invest in some of the PinPoint 53 mS conductivity calibration solution to check your SG device, since there's some difference of opinion there. Are you using a refractometer?

Your test results for freshly-mixed saltwater are fairly credible, although the alkalinity is a bit low for Reef Crystals.

What's being dosed into the system? A 2-part? pH buffers?

iClown
04/22/2011, 10:02 PM
I used a hydrometer. Store #1 used...I don't know(i didn't watch him). Store #2 used a refractometer. Nothing is dosed into the system, not even ph buffers. I'm very confused on what to do now I have 3 set of different numbers.

bertoni
04/22/2011, 10:17 PM
Well, I don't understand those water parameters if nothing is being dosed. You could make a calibration solution for your hydrometer:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.htm

That might be worthwhile, and it's fairly easy to do.

I might just continue with water changes, 10-15% at a time, maybe every few days, if I had the energy. How soon do you want to add corals? Torch and frogspawn are stony corals. Is that what you meant to say?