PDA

View Full Version : How many holes?

withoutaclue
04/23/2011, 10:34 AM
I'm still working on my 150g project and I'm drilling for a closed loop. I have 2 holes in the bottom for the Herbie overflow and 2 holes in the back for the closed loop. I want to use the holes in the back for CL returns, so can I safely drill 1 more hole in the bottom for CL supply? Where is the safest place to put it or does it matter? The glass is 1/2" thick.
Thanks all

withoutaclue
04/23/2011, 10:59 AM
Or should/could I put the hole for the supply in the back wall?

bamf25
04/23/2011, 12:31 PM
My tank was pre drilled but came with 4 holes in the bottom. See no reason you can not get 2 more down there. And if you are drilling, you will be drilling fo returns also, right?

withoutaclue
04/23/2011, 01:40 PM
I already drilled 2 holes in the back panel. 2 in the bottom, 2 in the back. My only concern with a third hole in the bottom is if something goes wrong with the pump or plumbing for the CL it will drain the tank. Long shot I know but maybe the CL intake would be better in the back wall?

NanoReefWanabe
04/24/2011, 12:06 PM
I already drilled 2 holes in the back panel. 2 in the bottom, 2 in the back. My only concern with a third hole in the bottom is if something goes wrong with the pump or plumbing for the CL it will drain the tank. Long shot I know but maybe the CL intake would be better in the back wall?

regardless of where you drill the holes, if anything goes wrong anywhere in a closed loop it will likely drain to the absolute lowest point of the plumbing involved in the CL...

as for intakes i would do two of them and use a manifold to plumb them together...this will create a lot less draw from a single source that could drawn in slow fish inverts, anemones, and if it is in the bottom a bunch of sand too...

ideally you should have 2 intakes and usually 4 outputs for a CL. personally i would swiss cheese the back of the tank well before thinking about drilling the bottom...that said i see no reason you cant have 6 or more holes in the back or the bottom of the tank...i have seen tanks with more then that, that is for sure.

withoutaclue
04/25/2011, 06:30 AM
Great, thanks Nano.