PDA

View Full Version : BioCube protein skimmer help!!

Force4000
04/23/2011, 03:49 PM
Bought a protein skimmer for my biocube 14. Thing seems to be junk. I had to remove the original filter which I do not like and it doesnt seem to work. I have it bubbling right before the top where it flows over and the water just comes out clear everytime. Should i remove this and go back to my original filter?

I also have a UV light for my pump now so I dont think I really need the protein skimmer anyways. I do a gallon water change every Sat to control the water levels already.

Force4000
04/23/2011, 04:22 PM
I have read on various websites it takes a day or to for the protein molecules to start to activate and foam over. I think I will wait a day or to and see how it works. I have also read that nitrate will spike without a filter because i am still using bioballs.

Rudolph
04/24/2011, 06:31 AM
it would be helpful if you listed the skimmer name and model. i am having similar issues with a new tunze 9002

tpayne156
04/24/2011, 09:03 AM
My 14 biocube skimmer is doing good but it did take like 3 or 4 day to work right. After 5 weeks the skimmer didn't produce as much skinmate as it used to.

Force4000
04/24/2011, 03:38 PM
After about 6 hours of the protein skimmer and uv light being in my tank it seemed a lot clearer. I then noticed my clown fish floating upside down at the top of the tank. I hit him which seemed to wake him up and then immediately removed the skimmer and reinstalled the filter that has to be removed for the skimmer. This morning he seemed a lot better and swimmer much easier. Prob going to ditch the protein skimmer.

duncantse
04/24/2011, 04:08 PM
That protein skimmer is a piece of junk IMO. Bought 1 and waited 1 month for it to "break in" but no skimmate.