PDA

View Full Version : Copper treated tank

Reefnub
04/23/2011, 05:09 PM
So I was thinking of converting my dads tank from flowr to reef, his tank is acrylic and he did copper treatments around 3 years ago. I was wondering if there was any way he can get a fresh start again, vinegar and bleach bath? What else can I do to get him a fresh start?

Reefahholic
04/23/2011, 05:38 PM
That's a long time ago, I think ur on the right track. Maybe change the rock since the copper can leach to LR?? Start out small and see how things are looking.

Good luck!

Reefnub
04/23/2011, 11:46 PM
I heard of ppl saying once copper is introduced, it's impossible to remove. I'm hoping vinegar and bleach will remove all or 99.9% of it. I will be muriatic acid/bleaching the liverock which are practically dead rocks in the tank. Also going to remove all old sand bed and add new sand bed. I hope it works. :(

shifty51008
04/24/2011, 12:20 AM
that is a myth. copper can leach from rocks and sand but it can't stay on a tank or plastic or even silicone just a good rub down with vinegar and warm water and replace the rocks and sand and your good to go.

Reefahholic
04/24/2011, 04:12 AM
Yeah I'm thinking the same. I can see it binding to LR, sand, or maybe plastic in the tank, but the glass itself seems impossible. I've also heard that silicone is pretty resistant to copper.

Good luck my friend! Just start SLOW...

billdogg
04/24/2011, 06:32 AM
3 years ago? I would just run a little polyfilter to see if it colors up, and go for it. After 3 years the copper will be so dilute due to water changes that it probably is not detectable.