PDA

View Full Version : Apex problem ***HELP***

mosc
04/23/2011, 08:32 PM
I've got something going on with my apex that i cant seem to trouble shoot..
Didnt know if someone would be able to lend their expertise.
I've been working on Cycling my 75 meanwhile still running my 29. These are all run off the same outlet.
Tonight i wanted to move a power strip from inside my 75 stand to the outside back and attach it there. I had picked up a couple of inexpensive timers to run my 8b t5 for the cycling. So i got it all hooked up and moved. MY outlet configuration on the wall consist of just your standard two 110 plugs, i pulled the face plate off and added a 6 outlet surge protector, Off from the serge i added Two single outlet GFCI's which my Power strip for the 75 is hooked in to. The power strip is running a 200w heater,quietone 5000 110w return and the 18w refugium lamp. I had my 2 ballast lamp plugged directly into the 6outlet surge protector in the wall. I wanted to run them on timers and they wont fit into the 6outlet so i plugged them into the 75g power strip. This is where the trouble starts. When i turned on my lamp, middle 4 lights first, lit up fine, then turned on the outer 4 and it tripped the GFCI. i tried it a few other times, Took out the timers and still that one ballast tripped the breaker. i had one of the Single gfci's on the surge protector that wasnt being used plugged it into that and tripped that as well. i scrubbed of any corrosion/oxidation that was on the plugs and still tripped it.
So my apex should be running the 29g right now. Off from the 6outlet surge i have a three outlet gfci extension. plugged into that is my ATO and my Apex EB8 8outlet power module. As a last-ditch effort i plugged my 75g T5 into the one open outlet on the gfci Ext. and it tripped that breaker which in turn shut down the entire 29g system "genius" i know....
So the problem im having is the Apex module is getting power but NONE of the 8 outlets are powering any of the equipment.
When i reset the GFCI the tank kicked on and all the equipment with it for about 30seconds then the 29 system equipment shuts down. The power strip and the module that Show that there is power going to both of them with a Green LED status light, and the apex Hand controller is displaying all correct information, Temp lowering and ph lowering....
Ive been trying to find something on the web about this type of particular problem but cant come up with anything. all i find are peoples status lights going yellow.

I'm freakin out a little bit, Have to say this is my FIRST real problem and do not know what to do
i know a few of you people have controllers out there and Would like a little insight on what to do.

Mean while i have my 29g which is loosing temperature Is sitting Low because of overflow box and no water movement....

ANY and ALL help would be great!

kevincp
04/23/2011, 09:22 PM
ok i tried to figure this out there is so many issues here you know ur apex is rated for only 15 amps which should be the issue what is the rating on the wall gfi also some outlets on the EB8 can handel more then others also dont have them all come on at once..ill keep trying to figure this out

mosc
04/23/2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the feed back..

Still scratching my head.
i Pulled the apex from the system and hooks a standard power strip

jmski333
04/24/2011, 06:55 AM
i think maybe a picture would help, but what else is on that circuit in your house? Because if the breaker in your panel is the "breaker" that keeps popping then i feel that maybe something else is on the circuit like a dehumidifier or a refrigerator or something and when your fish tank equipment kicks on then it overloads the breaker. I had a similar problem so i ended up just running a 110v 20a double gang outlet for fish tank use only.

snorvich
04/24/2011, 08:13 AM
A kill-a-watt would be high beneficial in order to figure out what is really happening. Sounds like you are exceeding 15 amp either continuously or at start up.

lgtentacle
04/24/2011, 02:58 PM
It's difficult to tell from your wiring description, but it sounds like you have multiple GFCI's on the same circuit breaker. You can't run multiple GFCI's on the same circuit since they will cause each other to trip. Having a power strip with an internal GFCI is different than having two GFCI outlets on the same breaker. If this is actually the case (two GFCI outlets on one circuit breaker), just remove one of the GFCI outlets and replace it with a normal outlet. If you are still having issues after that, then it may point back to an overall current exceedance on the breaker.