PDA

View Full Version : What should the PO4 coming out of a GFO reactor be?

JG1
04/24/2011, 10:01 AM
I have a BRS dual Rx, HC-GFO in the first Rx and carbon in the second. I'm using about 0.8 cups of HC-GFO in the Rx, and 1 cup KZ carbon in the second. Adjusted to the flow so the top of the GFP gently tumbles, and I can see it moving along the sides as well.

I just set the Rx up 4 days ago with brand new GFO and carbon.

The PO4 coming out the Rx is 0.07 and the tank water is 0.08 .

Any ideas?

Am I possibly pushing the water through to fast?

jimrawr
04/24/2011, 10:09 AM
When first setting up sometimes your GFO will exhuast pretty fast if you have a lot of PO4 in your tank. So you will need to change it pretty often for the first few weeks until you are testing ZERO out of the reactor.

I would try to change the GFO media already and see if it get it to zero. Also you could have some margin of error on your test kit. I am assuming you have the Hanna, right?

JG1
04/24/2011, 10:30 AM
When first setting up sometimes your GFO will exhuast pretty fast if you have a lot of PO4 in your tank. So you will need to change it pretty often for the first few weeks until you are testing ZERO out of the reactor.

I would try to change the GFO media already and see if it get it to zero. Also you could have some margin of error on your test kit. I am assuming you have the Hanna, right?

Thx, I just changed it. How long should I let the new material run before I test the output water?

Yes, hanna

jimrawr
04/24/2011, 10:53 AM
Once all the sediment from the new GFO is gone and the water is crystal clear, then I would try it. I say you only need to wait 5-10 minutes or so.

JG1
04/24/2011, 11:03 AM
Effluent from the Rx w/ brand new HC-GFO now reads 0.02

That sound about right?

jimrawr
04/24/2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah you are probably now just within the margin of error that I believe is .04 on the hanna meters. When it was .07 before your GFO I believe was exhausted. After a few days check it again, and then check what your tank PO4 is. You should slowly see your tank PO4 dropping and when its almost at zero your GFO will start to last you a much longer time

JG1
04/24/2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks.

I think I may have had the flow a little too high also. I lowered it (more contact time) so the top of the GFO looks like it's on a very low simmer.

It was boiling before.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/24/2011, 02:19 PM
The flow rate will be critical in determining the phosphate in the effluent, but not in how well the GFO is used. Contact time is unimportant in overall use. Same for GAC. Folks really do not seem to get that, but it is clearly true. You are not trying to get complete first pass treatment, just effective treatment, and twice as fast of flow with half the phosphate reduction between inlet and outlet is exactly the same in terms of the phosphate removed per unit time. :)

IOW, there is no magic number how much it should be lowered. :)

JG1
04/24/2011, 02:23 PM
The flow rate will be critical in determining the phosphate in the effluent, but not in how well the GFO is used. Contact time is unimportant in overall use. Same for GAC. Folks really do not seem to get that, but it is clearly true. You are not trying to get complete first pass treatment, just effective treatment, and twice as fast of flow with half the phosphate reduction between inlet and outlet is exactly the same in terms of the phosphate removed per unit time. :)

IOW, there is no magic number how much it should be lowered. :)

So higher flow rate, more PO4 in effluent, but more tank turnover = lower flow rate, less PO4 in effluent, but less tank turnover.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/24/2011, 02:24 PM
Yes. :)

DallasSVT
04/24/2011, 03:47 PM
So higher flow rate, more PO4 in effluent, but more tank turnover = lower flow rate, less PO4 in effluent, but less tank turnover.

Too much flow and GFO will crumble into powder, not enough flow and GFO will turn into a brick!

Dallas

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/24/2011, 03:48 PM
yes, those are fair considerations. :)

ANGRY JOHN
04/24/2011, 06:17 PM
gfo rookie here, is gfo supposed to be fluidized like bio pellets, looking to add some to my system soon, and have not run into this before. Also is pellet, or partiles better for reactor?

rgfast
04/24/2011, 06:30 PM
John, you just want a light tumble the same as you would with active carbon

ANGRY JOHN
04/24/2011, 06:32 PM
sweet thanks, not seeing the growth i want so figure i would get some test kits and try some gfo.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2011, 04:37 AM
I use GFO pellets or other phosphate binders and GAC mixed together in a cannister so it is not fluidized. :)

JG1
04/25/2011, 07:30 AM
PO4 went from 0.08 to 0.04 in 20 hours. I'll guess I'll check it tomorrow...would love to see a triple zero reading one of these days.

jason2459
04/25/2011, 12:42 PM
I use GFO pellets or other phosphate binders and GAC mixed together in a cannister so it is not fluidized. :)

You've perked my interest here. What might you use as "other" phophate binders? I know you aren't talking about the aluminum based medium.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2011, 03:04 PM
:lol:

I was actually using up some Thiel X-phosphate that I've had for nearly 15 years on the shelf. I expect it is an aluminum product, but when used as I did, did not cause any issues. I'm currently using GFO as it ran out. I'm thinking of using up some other old things I have around, like Kent Phosphate Sponge (also aluminum), but I've not yet made that decision. It might depend on how much solidification, if any, that I get in the GFO/GAC canister I'm running now. :)

stevereef
04/25/2011, 03:29 PM
I just started to use a reactor, I'm using the TLF150 and filling it with Rowaphos but just switched to Eco Phos. I've notice the bottom of the reactor always lumps up. Will this always be the case. I have the flow adjusted where the media is just boiling w/ a couple of high kicks now and then. Is this setting good for just general purpose/use?

HighlandReefer
04/25/2011, 03:40 PM
Randy,

You're GFO doesn't look like mine did at one time, I hope. :lol:

New GFO:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2647/4084442288_381a4aeb8d.jpg

calcium carbonate covered GFO:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2605/4084456028_4c396a33a6.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2011, 05:23 PM
:lol:

We'll see next time I replace it. :D

tmz
04/25/2011, 07:26 PM
In a reactor the pellets hold up better. I like the BRS HC gfo: almost no dust and it holds up well even when regenerated . The reactor should be set to provide a light tumble.

JG1
04/26/2011, 06:58 AM
tank PO4 measured at 0.06 today

I dunno......

JG1
04/26/2011, 07:24 AM
I was running it really slow, just had the very top of the media moving. I put it a little faster now so that the sides move as well. I'll check the tank in 24...

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvidmg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv178%2FJG1inNJ%2FVIDEO0017.mp4">

JG1
04/26/2011, 08:51 AM
Effluent PO4 coming out the Rx is 0.05

I can't believe that .85 cups of the HC-GFO on a 100g tank only reduced PO4 by 0.02 before it expired.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/26/2011, 08:54 AM
If there is substantial phosphate on the rock and sand, then you may be removing a lot more phosphate than the values and water volume suggest. Over time, you may deplete that reservoir, making the GFO last longer.

JG1
04/26/2011, 09:08 AM
If there is substantial phosphate on the rock and sand, then you may be removing a lot more phosphate than the values and water volume suggest. Over time, you may deplete that reservoir, making the GFO last longer.

Jeez I hope so because this is the third GFO exchange in 5 days.

jason2459
04/26/2011, 09:35 AM
Jeez I hope so because this is the third GFO exchange in 5 days.

If you have a lot absobed by your rocks it could take a while. I was not able to get mine down enough at all with just GFO as it would get exhausted really fast but could be my fault as I feed a lot and didn't change out the GFO enough. Just have some patience and keep changing it out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk