PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use granite for an aquarium stand top?

fishresponse
04/24/2011, 08:09 PM
Hi all,

I'm building a new stand for my 45 rimless tank. I have the structure portion of the stand built and I'm thinking I want to put a piece of granite for the stand top for the aquarium to sit on. The main point of this is to make this match the kitchen/living room area and to make my wife happy.

Does anyone have experience with this? I need the pros/cons (besides cost) to help make a decision.

Thanks!!

Gold Stripe
04/24/2011, 08:19 PM
Considering the same thing. The only other con I have come up with is weight but thats because I'm on the 2nd floor and already concerned about weight.

clownfreak
04/24/2011, 08:31 PM
It has been done, but I don't remember where exactly. Night try the search function or look through a bunch of build threads

moneytimetycoon
04/25/2011, 09:19 AM
I've used it under my acrylic 40 with no problems.

ken123
04/25/2011, 09:33 AM
I did, looks great under my 90! These pics are 5 years old.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/ken_nj/PC190102.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/ken_nj/P2070296.jpg

DustinB
04/25/2011, 10:48 AM
Be sure to seal it well. Granite likes to absorb water. Make sure it is evenly supported as well or it will crack.

fishresponse
04/25/2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys!

I was mainly concerned about the granite holding up to the weight so it doesn't crack.

Is it recommended to have a piece of plywood under the granite to support all sq feet of the granite slab? Or can it sit on top of my stand with no plywood? I've seen both in countertop installs.

ziyaadb
04/25/2011, 11:54 AM
here have a look at this cube, granite top
http://www.sareefkeeping.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13505

reeferdale
04/25/2011, 12:56 PM
my tank sticks out of the wall 15 inches and I have a 6" shelf overhang
Sat the tank on a typical stand with foam board. Then had a 6" x 6' shelf built for it. I did a granite shelf U shaped around my tank. I have the same look, saved a lot of money on granit thet will never be seen

ken123
04/25/2011, 07:29 PM
My granite slab is laying on top of well leveled and even 2x6's. I used files & planes to make sure the supporting surface was as perfect as can be. Although I maybe should have, I did not seal it. Never had any spills on it either. And no signs of any cracks.

fishresponse
04/25/2011, 08:34 PM
I would be having the granite laying on top of 2x4s unless I put down a piece of plywood. I was afraid that any imperfection in being level would cause the granite to crack and even worse cause the tank to crack. Also, I'm trying to steer clear from the granite absorbing water and cracking. Have any of you had to apply any special coating to the granite so it repels water better?

fishresponse
04/25/2011, 08:40 PM
here have a look at this cube, granite top
http://www.sareefkeeping.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13505

Now that is EXACTLY what I hope my tank looks like! What a great example of what this hobby is all about.

bwidner
04/26/2011, 08:11 AM
You should support it with 2x4's or plywood, I had a slab on the stand for my old tank(I will try to remember to look for pics when I get home). All you need is a granite sealer, anywhere you can buy it they will have it.

rjmayes34
04/26/2011, 08:28 AM
you should not have a problem with granite absorbing water and cracking.. granite naturally is a very hard and dense rock and it will absorb very little water. Not enough to cause it to crack...especially since its inside and wont freese/thaw. Just like a kitchen counter top i get mine wet all the time, no cracking????? I would put a piece of plywood under it just for piece of mind. to make sure its supported plenty. If it is off level just a hair that is no problem, and once again will not cause the granite to crack, unless you have an overhang and put too much weight on their. Your only talking a 45 gallon tank, its not like your putting a 500 gallon tank on it. Your stand will be the weakest link in your build not the granite! Their is a reason people use cutting boards on granite so you dont dull your knife...cause you wont/cant hurt granite!! One of the hardest rocks know to man!

fishresponse
04/27/2011, 07:27 AM
I'll most likely put a piece of plywood between my stand and the granite for peace of mind. Plus it will put the tank a 1/4'' or so higher which will be nice.