04/24/2011, 09:56 PM
Hey guys/gals
my 30 long is current being cycled
But I wanna get in habit of dosing because I wanna try sps this time around
In my 10 and 20g I would just do frequent WC's to maintain my water

Imma start off with a few frags but again just wanna get used to dosing
Later on..

I know alot of people use dosing pumps but that's out of my budget

So I'm wondering how everyone else doses?

Just dump all in the morning?
Drip?
Some ml's in The morning and the rest at night?

Any DIY gizmos pics would be appreciated as well

Thanks in advance

bazineta
04/25/2011, 12:20 AM
Dosing pumps are the way to go; I went with BRS pumps, which are normally about $200 for the pair, but do go on sale from time to time.

A 30 will probably use between 10mL / day and 20mL / day of each of the Randy / BRS 2-part. Without pumps, I'd probably just dump it in daily during feeding time, in the sequence of first one solution, then feeding, then the second solution, so as to use the feeding interval to provide some time between the two parts in order to avoid precipitation.

Splitting it up into some in the morning and some in the evening would be better, but my own tolerance for boring, tedious things is pretty low.

chrischin29g
04/25/2011, 12:35 AM
Oh sweet

Is there and side affects to dumping it all at once?

Asureef
04/25/2011, 01:31 AM
Check out marine magic. I've been using their dual pumps for a few weeks now, it's working great and more affordable than any other dosing pumps out there that will do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2011, 04:55 AM
Add the alk part in the early AM if it is a high pH additive (not all are). The calcium part can be added any time.

chrischin29g
04/25/2011, 10:20 AM
And mag? Just when needed? And I'll check out marine magic

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2011, 10:29 AM
If you are using my DIY two part (from BRS, etc), then I'd add magnesium as I recommend, whether you test or not. If you are using any other sort of commercial two part, you may or may not ever need additional magnesium, so I wouldn't add it without testing.

Magnesium supplements can be added any time of the day.

chrischin29g
04/25/2011, 10:46 AM
So if I use b ionic I don't need to dose mag?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2011, 10:58 AM
With B-ionic you may not need to. It isn't clear exactly how much they put into the two part. If you use a salt mix that has high magnesium, I wouldn't even bother to measure it. If you use a low to normal magnesium mix, it might be worth an occasional m4easurement of magnesium. :)

chrischin29g
04/25/2011, 12:30 PM
Oh gotcha I'm currently using oceanic but will soon switch to red sea pro

chrischin29g
04/25/2011, 12:43 PM
Would it be better to just use kalk and vinegar in my ATO?

Until my demand is higher?

Crusty Old Shellback
04/25/2011, 12:53 PM
As for dosing, I've been using seachem powder two part. I'll mix up a little calicum and pour it in the sump on the end away from the return pump. Next day, I do the same with Alk. I usually do this 6 days of the week and let it go without on Sunday.

If I'm out of town for a few days, no big deal. Seems to work just fine for me. And I don't have to worry about pumps going on or off or overdosing while I'm away. ;)

disc1
04/25/2011, 01:08 PM
I built a dosing pump from two peristaltics I got on Ebay for 20 bucks and an arduino chip. Total cost about $60. Not having to keep up with dosing.... Priceless.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2011, 03:06 PM
Would it be better to just use kalk and vinegar in my ATO?

Until my demand is higher?

I do not think it is "better", but it too is a fine way to go. That's what I use. :)

chrischin29g
04/25/2011, 07:59 PM
So if I use 2 part.. Just dose here and there like once a week instead everyday? Or still dose everyday even tho

There only be a few frags in there?

bertoni
04/25/2011, 09:08 PM
I would keep the dKH above 7, and dose as often as is needed to accomplish that. Many tanks need daily dosing, but kalk as ATO might do a lot.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/26/2011, 04:44 AM
I agree. You cannot know how much or how often you'll need to dose until you see how fast alkalinity is dropping. :)

chrischin29g
04/26/2011, 08:56 AM
So my cal won't rise or be stable unless alk is above 7?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/26/2011, 09:01 AM
No, that is not true. But if you start at a desirable calcium level and dose enough of a two part to keep alkalinity stable, then calcium will follow suit and be stable unless it is messed up by water changes with a mix that is not close to the tank water.

This has more on dosing details for my DIY two part:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

From it:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#15

Dosing Instructions
The dosing instructions are basically the same for each recipe, although any given aquarium will end up using about twice as much of recipe #2 as recipe #1 to add the same amount of calcium and alkalinity.
To initiate dosing, first adjust calcium and alkalinity to roughly their correct ranges. This may require a substantial dose of just the calcium part if calcium is low (e.g., below 380 ppm). I would suggest targeting calcium between 380 and 450 ppm, and alkalinity between 2.5 and 4 meq/L (7-11 dKH; 125-200 ppm calcium carbonate equivalents).
This calculator shows how much of what parts to add in order to boost one or both of the parameters by a certain amount:
Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
Then, once things seem roughly correct, select a starting daily dose for routine dosing. Here are some suggested starting doses, but the exact values do not matter much. The suggested doses apply to both recipes.
After a few days of dosing, note whether alkalinity is low, high or on target. Only bother to test alkalinity, not calcium, during this period, because it is much more sensitive than calcium to over- or underdosing. Adjust the dose up or down as necessary to increase or decrease the alkalinity.
Once you have determined the proper dose, continue it until there is a substantial reason to adjust it (such as falling alkalinity as the corals increase in size). When adjusting the dose, raise or lower both of the recipe's parts together.
Resist the temptation to keep jiggering calcium and alkalinity independently. They will need occasional corrections, but that should not be the normal course of dosing unless there are substantial outside influences, such as water changes with a salt mix that does not match the tank's parameters or an error in making the mixes.
Check alkalinity fairly frequently to make sure the dosing continues at a suitable rate. Check it maybe once a week to once a month (or less as you get more experienced with the system and the tank). Check calcium once a month to once every few months to make sure it continues on track.
Remember to add an appropriate amount of Part 3 each time you finish adding a gallon of Parts 1 and 2.

chrischin29g
04/26/2011, 12:37 PM
That just cleared everything up thanks Randy

So Brs 2 part is the same as your recipe #1 or 2?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/26/2011, 02:15 PM
It is typically my Recipe #1, but they may also sell the alk part of Recipe 2 (which is just baking soda). :)

chrischin29g
04/26/2011, 08:10 PM
I think imma go with brs, or should I go with b ionic? Both 30 bucks

bertoni
04/26/2011, 09:11 PM
The BRS will be cheaper over time, but the B-Ionic is a bit easier to get going. They seem to work about equally well.

chrischin29g
04/26/2011, 09:51 PM
Mm maybe I should buy the small b ionic bottles just to get the hang of it? Then switch to brs?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/27/2011, 04:49 AM
That's certainly a fine plan. :)

chrischin29g
04/27/2011, 12:13 PM
Alright I think I got it.. Randy thanks you where a big help

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/27/2011, 01:25 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck and happy refing. :)