PDA

View Full Version : Two part dosing

Lamball1
04/24/2011, 11:04 PM
What commercial two part alk+calcium product is the best in your opinion?

Plus, are there any commercial products which boost alk levels but don't have a large effect on pH?

Thanks Guys
:wildone:

tamn3
04/24/2011, 11:47 PM
I use bulk reef supply kits. They have both one that increases pH and another one that lowers it (recipe 1 or 2).

Also, if you just need to boost alk you can use baking soda. Works for me.

bazineta
04/25/2011, 12:01 AM
Depends on your definition of 'best', I suppose. Mine is (a) tell me exactly what's in the product (b) ensure the product is of high quality (c) sell it to me for a fair price and (d) make it convenient for me.

For me, that's BRS.

Lamball1
04/25/2011, 12:24 AM
Sweet, does baking soda raise or lower pH?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2011, 04:54 AM
Baking soda has a slight pH lowering effect. Baked baking soda has a pH boost.

If I were to pick a commercial system other than my DIY that BRS sells, I'd choose B-ionic. There is a lot of trust required in a two part since there are many important aspects that we do not and cannot easily measure, and I trust ESV more than most companies. :)

tamn3
04/25/2011, 04:08 PM
Randy, does un-baked baking soda have any side affects? I use regular store bought arm and hammer. Do you know if there is any impurities in the product?

Lamball1
04/25/2011, 04:19 PM
thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2011, 05:25 PM
Randy, does un-baked baking soda have any side affects? I use regular store bought arm and hammer. Do you know if there is any impurities in the product?

Unbaked and baked Arm and Hammer baking soda are fine products to use for alkalinity. It is part of my DIY two part:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php