PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine 1st Fish IN?

Dr Colliebreath
04/25/2011, 12:57 PM
My tank (110 gal w/35 gal sump) is up and running after many years of non-use. It has 125 lbs live rock and live sand (2-3") and a dozen snails and 25 hermit crabs. Water parameters are good.

The first fish is going to be something hardy like a firefish or small wrasse (flasher) or maybe even a dwarf lion. I am thinking about not quarantining the first fish and only dipping it, and then setting up a QT for the rest of the fish (a butterfly or two, flame angel, tang). This is, of course, a way to get some action in a tank that has bee set up for a few weeks without waiting another 3-4 weeks for quarantine. I know the tank will have to stay fallow for 8 weeks if the fish shows up with parasites.

Does this make sense for the first fish?

Flaring Afro
04/25/2011, 01:05 PM
No, not really. The problem is if you introduce a parasite in your display, it will be in the rock and possibly cuc etc. The best thing to do would be stay patient and set up the quarantine. A month more won't be too bad.

DoubleM 10
04/25/2011, 01:19 PM
QT all fish even the first.

you might possibly have something on the first fish. that would not be in the display. then it is possible to affect all fish in the display from that point on.

Sk8r
04/25/2011, 01:38 PM
You quarantine to protect your tank, not the fish. If parasites come in, they get into the sandbed and become very unpleasant guests.

rosemoondust
04/25/2011, 05:45 PM
Unless you get your fish from a trusted source that QT all their fish to remove any parasites and fatten them up. It would be best QT all your fish.

Dr Colliebreath
04/25/2011, 08:56 PM
Somehow I knew quarantine would be the answer. I guess I already have created some risk by putting in live rock and live sand from the LFS.

MrTuskfish
04/26/2011, 10:02 AM
Unless you get your fish from a trusted source that QT all their fish to remove any parasites and fatten them up. It would be best QT all your fish.

Even Diver's Den, maybe the best source of fish on the planet, suggests you QT everything. Get into this habit now, it will pay off in the long run.

Let the tank go fallow for at least 6 weeks and the LR & LS problem should be solved.

humaguy
04/26/2011, 02:30 PM
Better safe than sorry, always qt your fish and live stock...