PDA

View Full Version : Will stand hold up??

vp6799
04/25/2011, 08:24 PM
I have a 37gal tank that i'm in the process of cleaning up to be setup as a reef tank. To go with this tank is a particle board or MDF stand (think it's particle board). Will this stand hold up the tank with sand, rock, water, etc, etc?? Or should I buy a pine stand to be safe?

Thanks
Vic

greech
04/25/2011, 08:27 PM
If you're having doubts now then upgrade the stand. If anything, you'll sleep better :).

Seriously though particle board and water don't do well and saltwater is even worse on it (and yes you are bound to get it wet).

vp6799
04/25/2011, 10:26 PM
True, looks like i'll be shopping around for a pine stand.

Thanks

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

OregonReefer
04/25/2011, 10:46 PM
I have an MDF stand/canopy that my 55 FW had been on for 15 years... it still looks new

They're fine as long as they're finished well and you don't have standing water on the wood

kevincp
04/25/2011, 11:55 PM
MMmm. if it gets wet ,which it will over years time it could start to break down,,i would put it on something made out of solid wood

OregonReefer
04/26/2011, 12:16 AM
I forgot to mention, it was used when I got it

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/rtrons/BlackFinish.jpg

They really are fine IF... yes a BIG if... they don't have any standing water that's going to penitrate the finish. That means cleaning up any spills right away and doing things like finishing the inside of the hood and stand.

That's not to say if you have a major spill that soaks the MDF your finish is going to save the day (unless you do something totally waterproof) You'll still want to replace the stand if you have a big spill that isn't taken care of right away.

Lemeshianos
04/26/2011, 05:06 AM
I have an MDF stand. It holds tank and everything ok, but some spills when working with the sump and humidity/moisture have made one vertical bend under weight. I put a piece of wood(pine) there to reinforce it.

demonnite57
04/26/2011, 09:29 AM
Build your own stand =D It's generally less expensive than buying one you find at a store like petsmart, petco, etc.

IndianFeather
04/26/2011, 10:48 AM
I have a 120 and it is particle board. I loose sleep, but mainly because water has been in the bottom before and one side is warped. It all depends on what will let you sleep better at night. If I had to do it over again, I would build my own stand, and use the particle board as a face for it. I know there are some manufacturers that require that you use their stand, or you void the waranty.

Dream2aReef
04/26/2011, 10:53 AM
If your doubting the stand it's better to be safe than sorry. However, if the stand is in good condition and you think it can handle the weight of the water, rock, and sand than I say go for it. Just make sure you keep up on clean up because there is nothing worse then being forced into moving the tank because you have to switch stands because it can no longer support the weight.

vp6799
04/26/2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all the info. I do believe the stand will hold, BUT I also know that it soaks up water pretty quick and then will start to deform. I am going to sleep safely knowing that it'll be setup on a sturdy stand...lol. Plus I don't want to have to switch the stand over down the road if it soaks water and deforms.

Vic