PDA

View Full Version : how long SPS without light?

marc nichols
04/26/2011, 03:47 PM
How long can typical acros, monti's and other sensitive corals cope without light? My clams are also being subjected and I know they are light needy.

lolgranny
04/26/2011, 05:07 PM
I would say more then 3days and you will have issues. I personally wouldnt want to go more then 48hrs. Also, once you get your light back you need to acclimate them to it. They will be quite sensitive.

If you think about it they are shipped in bags ~24-30hrs in transit w/o light and most do well for everyone here.

marc nichols
04/26/2011, 06:17 PM
Good point about the shipping. Thanks. I think I'll just go the 48 hrs.

Versus
04/26/2011, 06:21 PM
You can go longer, many people leave lights off for 5 days to get rid of dino's without coral loss. of course it also depends how much nat light you are getting. Ive seen 9 days and some heavy bleaching started to happen. went 12 until rtn started to happen.

aquavista99
04/26/2011, 06:33 PM
My SPS reef went without lights for almost 5 days after a major wind storm knocked out the power in my area back in 2008. I used a gas generator and battery backups to maintain flow and heat. When power was restored, all my SPS corals looked great (and I have a lot of them).

returnofsid
04/26/2011, 09:15 PM
I've left my lights completely off, for 5 days, in several different tanks, battling Dinoflaggalettes. These tanks were predominately SPS/Clams. Nothing showed any ill effect whatsoever. I'd not hesitate to do it again.

KIDULT
04/29/2011, 04:44 PM
i lost more than 20/50 acros when was without light. it took 3 days. circulation, temperature, skimming was doing good.

GXPKY
04/29/2011, 06:56 PM
I'm sure there are pretty long periods of time in nature where corals go with very little to no light due to storms, and other conditions

dixiedog
04/29/2011, 06:56 PM
I just went 3 days lights out, trying to kill off some cyano. I even wrapped the tank in black towels to shut out any ambient light.

The SPS acted like they didn't even notice.

Just like the cyano. LOL

marc nichols
04/29/2011, 08:54 PM
Well, the situation unfolded like this, and presently with no indications of damage to sps or any corals, clams or anything else other than coraline: 2 weeks without skimmer including three days without light. As to the latter, I was attacking a possible patch of dynos which appear to be gone...for now. Hey, Returnofsid; did 5 days rid you completely of dynos? Has it been a while since you did this?

If the dynos return, I'll do 5 days based on what I'm seeing in this thread and in my system , but want to have my full complement of nutrient export equipment on line first.

Thanks all for comments and experiences. Useful information for all.

rtbm
04/29/2011, 09:07 PM
i have had a permanent resident rainbow monti in my qt go without light for weeks. Literally. It doesn't always look so great but it's alive and healthy. Whenever I get new stuff in the QT I use the light again and it pops back every time.

For what its worth. I have even seen green slimers live for months on room lights in sumps.

If they are healthy to begin with they will go longer than you think. of course there are exceptions.

no joke.