PDA

View Full Version : need an anemone expert...will mine ever recover?

gr8nano
04/26/2011, 04:31 PM
At one time I had a rose bulb about the size of a baseball. Was in great shape...color, tips,eating! Then I had a tank crash. It split and kept on shrinking. Now it has been about 6 months and it has a base about the size of a dime, no tentacles present, and no color. I tried feeding once but did not seem to take food or show any response to feeding if it did. It is beyond it is even still alive! Has anyone ever seen this? Will it recover? Should I try spot feeding some sort of liquid food? Like oyster feast? Or am I waiting on nothing ad I should just scrape him off and suck it out?

alanbates12
04/26/2011, 04:51 PM
Picture

Dream2aReef
04/26/2011, 04:53 PM
I've had a couple do that to me as well and they did not make it. However, I have another in the same tank that I've had no problem with. So, far no one has been able to tell me what the cause was.

Catchoftheday
04/26/2011, 04:55 PM
Take a look at my post tell me if its the same or not .
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2007119

gr8nano
04/26/2011, 05:11 PM
dont have a cam good enough to get that deep in tank. but the link above was pretty much same thing. mouth still seem present but not much happening. i think im gonna give him small shot of ground up mysis and see if any sticks to him

Catchoftheday
04/26/2011, 05:23 PM
dont have a cam good enough to get that deep in tank. but the link above was pretty much same thing. mouth still seem present but not much happening. i think im gonna give him small shot of ground up mysis and see if any sticks to himso the link above is my post . what I did was moved him by my GBTA and my RBTA and he found a spot where he is getting T5 lighting and I hand feed him . Truly hand feed I hold it there till he opens his moth.

gr8nano
04/26/2011, 05:47 PM
best i could do

gr8nano
04/26/2011, 05:48 PM
try this again

gr8nano
04/26/2011, 05:48 PM
sorry with crop it is kinda blurry

Catchoftheday
04/26/2011, 06:02 PM
sorry with crop it is kinda blurry It looks just like mine i would maybe turn that rock faceing up to the light if it is not already . I would try and hand feed it or even put some smashed up food in a dropper and feed it this way see if that will help . I know it help me mine is still working on getting better .

alanbates12
04/26/2011, 07:32 PM
How old is your tank? And what are your water parameters? From the look of your photo you've got some polyps that are closed up also. Looked at the photos of your tank and it looks very nice. The pictures of your anemones looked like they may be bleached (loss of color). "The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:
1) Don’t buy a bleached anemone
2) If your anemone start to bleach, find the cause and fix it quick.

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to adapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out."

alanbates12
04/26/2011, 09:02 PM
Wow gr8nano I looked at someone else's photo and thought I was looking at yours. Would still like to know your water parameters.

gr8nano
04/26/2011, 11:13 PM
ill say it like everybody else..... perfect!! as of tonight....
ph....8.3
dhk...10
salinity1.024
cal 460-480
phos...0
nitrate 0-5 ppm
2 little fishes reactors.... one gac, and one gfo.
20 gallon fuge

well established rock and sand.
tank was swithched from 28 gal to 75 gal about 2 months ago, but it has looked like that for more than 4 months.

current setup is 75 gal aga reef ready. 6 bulb t-5.

weekly 5 gallon water changes with salinity mix. 6 stage ro/di for water changes, and auto topoff system.

all of the recovery i have had from sps and lps i thought died in tank crash have recovered nicely, and some even better than before.

i would just love to see this animal come back, because now my onyx clown is forced to host star polyps!!!

gr8nano
04/26/2011, 11:18 PM
i guess in my defense, i had not seen this guy in 4 months. thought it had died, and never gave it a thought. now i have seen t it is on the move daily. decided to live in star polyps for a week or so and hid. now mostly in shade. no direct light. the closed polyps in pic are due to doing waterchange and actually getting anemone to show itself. i am glad to get all opinions, and am going to start feeding lightly 3 to 4 times a week in small amounts. as long as he stays where i can get to him he will be taken care of. i will post some futer pics of recovery and methods that got me there so hopefully we can keep this beautiful animal alive!

alanbates12
04/27/2011, 01:43 AM
In the 28 gal did you also have T5's?

Dream2aReef
04/27/2011, 09:28 AM
With the nems I had this issue with we tried turning the rock to keep it in the light and the nems kept moving themselves out of it and at the time we wern't under real high light and feeding didn't seem to work. I may not have gotten to them in time maybe you'll have better luck like some of the others have.

Catchoftheday
04/27/2011, 11:31 AM
Just take your time and keep an eye on him it will get better I will post a pic latter so you can see how much better mine looks . Also are you adding any iodine to the tank ? I dose my tank with logos iodine 2 times a week and have seen great improvement in all of my nems Just some food for thought

Catchoftheday
04/27/2011, 10:24 PM
So i just wanted to share 2 pictures with you one is from 4-15-11 and one from tonight 4-27-11 just take your time it will come around

gr8nano
04/28/2011, 04:12 PM
great recovery. i hope mine can do that good.

Catchoftheday
04/28/2011, 05:11 PM
great recovery. i hope mine can do that good.

Thank you . How is your nem doing ?

alanbates12
04/29/2011, 02:19 PM
Catchoftheday that guy looks really bleached what type of light do you have him under. Also are you trying to feed him and is he eating.

alanbates12
04/29/2011, 02:26 PM
Also if your dosing with iodine make sure your testing for it.

Catchoftheday
04/29/2011, 05:34 PM
Also if your dosing with iodine make sure your testing for it.

yes i test for iodine every week . and yes i feed him and he does eat her is my post check it out im not trying to still this guys post im just trying to help him as others have help me .http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2007119

Gig 'em
04/29/2011, 09:37 PM
I think there's the possibility it will recover. I've had BTA's shredded to near nothing in a powerhead and reduced to the size of a silver dollar and eventually grew back to the size of a softball and bigger. It just takes a bit of time, a lot of patience, and consistently good water conditions. Best of luck!

gr8nano
05/03/2011, 07:37 AM
well a few feeding later with oyster feast, rods food and mysis(all seperate times) still nothing

Catchoftheday
05/03/2011, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=gr8nano;18726133]well a few feeding later with oyster feast, rods food and mysis(all seperate times) still nothing[/QUare you useing salcon at all . If not i would maybe give that a try i let all the fish food and nem food sit in that stuff for about 15 min then feed the tank that may help . Also have you moved it into the light more at all ?