PDA

View Full Version : ammonia too high in qt

scottkip91
04/26/2011, 07:11 PM
hi, i got my first new fishes, two clowns and put them in qt saturday. tank is 10g with hob filter and some sponge from my just cycled dt sump. monday my ammonia at 0.25ppm so i did a 50% water change. today "tuesday" it is at 0.5ppm. all water going in qt is fresh mix, how high is too high and how else can i keep it down.
thanks!

duncantse
04/26/2011, 07:21 PM
Keep doing 25% water change daily.

Virtuoso
04/26/2011, 07:45 PM
Can also use something like Prime or Amquel Plus to reduce the ammonia.

glenns
04/26/2011, 07:56 PM
Can also use something like Prime or Amquel Plus to reduce the ammonia.
These will bind with ammonia, to make them non-toxic. But they can cause false readings in some ammonia test kits.

Pick up some SeaChem stability. That helped my QT.

bnumair
04/26/2011, 08:13 PM
i would do water changes everyday. also cut back on food to just about what they can eat in 3 min. i have a feeling that ur sponges were not seeded yet and u are going thru a cycle. u wrote "some sponge from my just cycled dt sump" that tell me sponges are not properly seeded with bacteria yet.

jcw
04/26/2011, 08:20 PM
Newly mixed salt water will contain some ammonia. Usually not a problem for a cycled tank, but in a non cycled qt with ammonia producing fish, it can be.

Take your water change water from the DT.

Add the newly mixed water to the DT.

It works great!

bamf25
04/26/2011, 09:26 PM
^^^^^^

Thanks for this idea!!! My QT is running stable ammonia of around 0.25 and 0.5. It is nice to know that newly mixed saltwater my give you a mild positive. What is the truely bad level? I had a somewhat seeded spong in there, but it did not seem to be making a difference.

I got myself freaked out since I lost a fish in QT a few days ago. I still have 2 clowns in there right now, but it is easy to freak yourself out.