PDA

View Full Version : live sand questions

ckovach333
04/28/2011, 10:13 AM
I have about two to three inches of live sand. Its different levels in different areas. I have noticed in one area at the bottom but not yet at the top of the sand i can see a little bit of a brown growth of some kind. I thought it was spreading but a week or two later it seems slightly smaller. Im not sure if it is something bad.

I have the normal brown growth on top of the tank. I think it is diatoms. The tank is three weeks old and my LFS said my water levels appear fine. .25 or less of ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrate. .1023 salinity. I initially used toap water but now have been using RO water to top off. PH looks good.

I lost a yellow tail damselfish. He turned pale one day and died and was always hiding in a corner. Now I have a domino damselfish who is always hiding behind my filter which comes up through the bottom of the glass and stand which is also where my heater is situated. He ate well yesterday after purchasing him. I dont want to also lose him.

I have a 750 koralia which Im not sure if that is scaring him. Its in a 45 gallon bow front. I have not done a water change and was told to wait until I see my green algae growing. Im concerned maybe I am not getting enough oxygen though I have my powerhead causing surface flow. I also have a fluval 205 cannister filter running. I also have carbon running and have not purchased my protein skimmer yet. I will get it in the next week or so. Im looking at the aquac remora skimmer with the maxi jet. I hope its not too loud lol. I have a seaclone 100 which i took down because it appears useless and cheap.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am also curious whether or not when I do syphon should i go to the bottom of the sand? I dont know if that will kill my good bacteria or not. Will that release toxins? Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

ckovach333
04/28/2011, 10:16 AM
One other thing. I only have about two pounds of live rock. Im not sure if thats another reason my domino likes to hide by the filter seeing that I do not have a lot of cover for him.

mike_cmu04
04/28/2011, 10:42 AM
The brown on the sand is diatoms and is normal in a new tank. Since you used tap water you will probably have alot of algae problems until all the nutrients are eliminated by the rodi. topping off will not fix the water quality you will have to do water changes using the rodi

Uncle Salty 05
04/28/2011, 01:03 PM
What size tank are we talking about?
Never use tap water, RO/DI is a must. I would stop using the canister as well.
Keep it for cleaning jobs but don't run it constantly.
You definitely need more hiding places for your fish to feel safe in. Until you can get more live rock just go to Home Depot and buy some 1-1/2" and 2" PVC fittings like elbows and 45s.

ckovach333
04/28/2011, 03:25 PM
I have a 46 gallon bow front tank

ckovach333
04/28/2011, 04:35 PM
Why shouldn't I run my filter constantly?

Uncle Salty 05
04/29/2011, 06:42 AM
Well I guess you can, but the media inside should be rinsed weekly in RO/DI water to prevent it from becoming biological which will produce nitrate faster than your live rock and sand can process it.
Your live rock and sand should be your only means of biological filtration, the canister should only be used for mechanical and chemical filtration.
Sorry if I was unclear or confusing.

wbdevers
04/29/2011, 06:53 AM
You also added your fish too soon. You said your tank is only 3 weeks old--your cycle hasn't even finished yet. That is why you are showing ammonia. You were given bad advice from your LFS and the fish are paying for it. Do not add any more live stock until your ammonia and nitrite read 0. Then you can add a clean up crew. You need to get more live rock before you get your skimmer. Like Uncle Salty said you need a lot more biological filtration. I ran a Fluval 305 when I first started and I rinsed it every week and it was a major pain. I built my sump and use an overflow box now. Should have gotten a drilled tank or at least done it myself but hind-sight is 20/20.