PDA

View Full Version : When to feed fish and coral?

Force4000
04/28/2011, 01:33 PM
My tank is still kinda going through a break in cycle with diatoms and green hair algie but how often should I be feeding my clow fish? I feed him once a day for about 2 weeks now and he seems to be doing great but I hear I should feed him twice a day? I don't want to over feed the tank being only a 14g. I havnt fed my coral yet either since I got them last week. I got this reef food (blackish powder). Not really sure how to feed them with this stuff. Any ideas?

I have:
1 clown fish
Lawnmower blenny
Peppermint shrimp which only eats fish flakes now.
Hammer coral
Baby Frogspawn
Polyps
Duncan frags

duncantse
04/28/2011, 04:11 PM
Once a day would be fine.

HanoverFist
04/28/2011, 04:37 PM
Feeding corals depends on the coral type. But basically there's three types when you get down to feeding them. Ones that will eat small meaty things - like frogspawn, acans, etc (the LPS and softies), and ones that eat very fine particles of food floating in the water column. It sounds like the "black powder" you have is the latter. So it's appropriate for feeding SPS like acropora and other small polyped corals. Also, you got the ones that eat phytoplankton (plants) mixed in there. AND, some corals feed only at night and some only at day and some whenever food floats by.

The ones you appear to have are all the small meat eaters. So you probably need different food. Not familiar with the black powder stuff though I think I have seen it around and fairly certain it's for SPS. So some brine shrimp, chopped deli shrimp, mysis, krill or whatever they ill eat would be more appropriate.

I've always liked this coral care sheet (https://sites.google.com/a/asira.org/www2/caresheets) for general info on coral species. Good starting point for your present, and hopefully future, research.