PDA

View Full Version : Help. Sohal tang

bgcook
04/28/2011, 03:44 PM
Wanted to get some advice. My sohal tang is loosing a lot of weight. Very thin. Acting and feeding normal but just thin. I've had him for about 3 years. About 10 inches or more. He resides in my main reef which is about 540 gal plus.

Just hoping he is not going under with natural causes.

Any thoughts???

Tank has been stable for quite a long time. All parameters are perfect.

MCCOOL
04/28/2011, 06:09 PM
At 10" and 3 years, he certainly isn't dying of old age.

Any new fish added recently? Kind of sounds like internal parasites

bgcook
04/28/2011, 07:00 PM
Added a pink tail trigger a few months ago. I was thinking the same thing. Is there any treatments???

bgcook
04/28/2011, 07:00 PM
All other fish are doing great. Including the trigger.

MCCOOL
04/28/2011, 07:08 PM
Prazipro will treat it, if it has internal parasites. I've read that it's fairly "reef safe" but have only personally used it in a qt.

Have you tried feeding more? Maybe the trigger cut into the amount of food the tang was getting.

snorvich
04/28/2011, 07:40 PM
Prazipro is best option in my opinion.

bgcook
04/28/2011, 08:33 PM
Think I will give it a try. Feeding wise. I have increased feedings since noticing a couple of weeks ago. Fish get mysis shrimp. Algae sheets and occassional pellets usuallyone of these a day sometimes two. The sohal doesn't seem to have any competition for food. Pretty much the biggest. It has to be a parasite. Eating hasn't changed but losing weight. Only other thing I could think is. Do fish ever get cancer?? With people unexplained weight loss always makes docs think could it be cancer.

kirkaz
04/29/2011, 11:22 AM
Think I will give it a try. Feeding wise. I have increased feedings since noticing a couple of weeks ago. Fish get mysis shrimp. Algae sheets and occassional pellets usuallyone of these a day sometimes two. The sohal doesn't seem to have any competition for food. Pretty much the biggest. It has to be a parasite. Eating hasn't changed but losing weight. Only other thing I could think is. Do fish ever get cancer?? With people unexplained weight loss always makes docs think could it be cancer.

Yes fish can get cancer. Any cellular organism can get cancer, nothing you can do if it's cancer though.

For the record, Prazipro is your best chance.

anbosu
04/29/2011, 11:24 AM
No point in worrying about if it's cancer. If it is there is nothing you can do for the fish. Treat for parasites and hopefully it'll work.

BTW, please post pics of your tank, it sounds awesome.

coralreefhq
04/29/2011, 01:08 PM
I'd suggest prazipro dip, or if you can treat the whole tank as the system is already infected with worms, tubes, flukes or what ever else that came with that pink tail that already has an immunity to the disease. A teaspoon of prazipro is for 50 gallons.
A full 24oz bottle is $50 but can teat a massive tank.
It'll affect all inverts, stun them if there's a small amount, paralyze and kill them in large amounts. Just do what you think is best suited for the situation.
After you do treat the Sohal, it'll probably come back if the system is infected.

If it has a bladder infection, you're in for a serious problem. Most fish don't make it after a bladder infection, as they lose the ability to swim, they'll start to swim upside down.

Goodluck, Sohals are my favorite!

Reef junky 305
06/16/2013, 11:28 PM
I wondered what happened to the sohal mines is only been with me for about three months inthink it is parasites mines seems to rub on da sand have dosed prazipro twice and still he hasent progressed.....he was one of the three (purple tang,blonde naso,sohal)that i added to my dt...then three months of having them i moved and thats wen the blonde stoped eating and died now the sohal is headed the same way