PDA

View Full Version : glass chip in bulkhead overflowbox

Puffer_Man
04/29/2011, 08:23 AM
My friends tank has a chip inside the overflowbox. Whats the best way to deal with this? The tank recently started leaking.
Thank you

Chasman
04/29/2011, 08:45 AM
I repaired one by using epoxy. I first used masking tape around the inside of the hole to create a rim or wall you can epoxy right up to. I then used a 2 part slow drying expoy to give me some working time and that type of epoxy also dries a bit harder. I filled the chip area and smoothed it out as best I could with a razor blade. After it set for a while I used a clean razor blade to basically shave the expoxy patch to perfectly match the glass. Then remove the tape of course. There may be better way but it worked and I have no problems.

Puffer_Man
04/29/2011, 08:59 AM
What type of epoxy was used and where do you purchase it?
Thank you

Gatorfan
04/29/2011, 11:10 AM
Can't tell how bad it is from the pic, but you can try the windshield repair stuff from your local auto parts store.

tkeracer619
04/29/2011, 11:28 AM
Wait did you take a picture of the picture on the back of a camera????

:lol: upload the picture properly so we can see it.

FWIW, you can probably just turn the bulkhead around. The gasket has to stay with the flange side of the bulkhead but the bulkhead can be installed flange inside or outside.

Chris27
04/29/2011, 12:52 PM
That's just plain funny, a camera taking a picture of a camera.....you should print that and then scan it....then post it....for full effect of course.

Anyhow, the chip, is it large? If the bulkhead gasket extends past the chip by any amount, let's say 1/4", it most likely won't leak. For good measure, a bead of silicone can be used when installing it....just don't let it cure first....put the bulkhead in while the silicone is nice and wet.

Leaking bulkheads are usually a sign of stress resulting from the plumbing hanging on it...could that be the issue?

redneckgearhead
04/29/2011, 12:55 PM
I'm assuming that's the chip in the 1oclock position. I would silicone it, let it cure for a couple days.

Chasman
04/29/2011, 01:00 PM
You can use just about any clear setting epoxy from the hardware store. I just think the 5min or quick set can become a bit brittle.

GrindingNemo
04/30/2011, 01:00 AM
I have dealt with a similar problem before. The hardware store had bulkheads with a bit bigger lip than the one that was on the tank, so I used one of them and some silicone. Its been years and no leaks yet. Of course I haven't seen your tank, so it may be a problem that this wont help with. Good luck