PDA

View Full Version : Sulfur DeNITRIFIER vs BioPellets

jbird0420
04/29/2011, 02:59 PM
I'm want a sulfur denitrifier, but some are saying Biopellets.

From what I'm reading it seems the sulfur denitrifier is the safest way to go. Although this is not going to be used on a coral tank. It will be used on my heavily stocked 225g Fish Only.

Thoughts please?

Thanks!

75pxatr
04/30/2011, 04:54 AM
I can't speak for the bio pellets. I have set up Midwest sulfur denitrators on two tanks and they crush nitrates to 0 with little maintenance.

jbird0420
04/30/2011, 07:04 AM
Nothing but good reviews on the MIdwest units. Trying to find one has been challenging to say the least..lol!

ANy tuning involved to get it set right?

I can't speak for the bio pellets. I have set up Midwest sulfur denitrators on two tanks and they crush nitrates to 0 with little maintenance.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/30/2011, 11:27 AM
I personally think dosing a soluble organic is somewhat preferred to pellets, and both pellets and soluble organic carbon dosing are less prone to maladjustment issues than are denitrifiers.

That said, folks are successful with all of these approaches. :)

jbird0420
04/30/2011, 11:44 AM
So if I went the route using a BRS dual reactor with Carbon and BioPellets.. Would I accomplish what I'm looking?? Compared to using a denitrifier?

I personally think dosing a soluble organic is somewhat preferred to pellets, and both pellets and soluble organic carbon dosing are less prone to maladjustment issues than are denitrifiers.

That said, folks are successful with all of these approaches. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/30/2011, 05:16 PM
Hard to say. Depends on how many pellets you use and how much you feed, etc. Pellets are not a magic bullet. They have their own issues. There are loads of threads on pellet use in the chemistry forum and I'd suggest reading through them to pick a brand, an amount to use, a way to actually use them, what to watch for, flow rates, etc.