PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Coral pro is trully pro

gark666
04/29/2011, 06:29 PM
so I finally decided to change salt mixes because the one I used just wasn’t working good for me (aka instant ocean) so I when ahead and got a bucket of red sea coral pro and mixed 15 gallons last night for the first time, after 12 hours of mixing I when ahead and test calcium and magnesium levels and that stuff blew:spin2: my mind, calcium levels where 500ppm and magnesium was 1480ppm what can I say this stuff is awesome:beer:

jdyer88
04/29/2011, 07:09 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about that salt...I just switched from tropic marin pro to the dd...I am pretty happy with this one too, i get pretty much the same readings except for the constant inconsistency that tropic had with alk...btw, I'm jealous of you living in Alaska. I spent a couple months up there (mostly kenai pen.) and loved it. Its true what they say, never go to alaska as a young man because you will spend your entire life wanting to go back.

skidoll
04/29/2011, 07:47 PM
I'm a huge fan of Red Sea Coral Pro. I started my tank with it, made a mistake of buying IO on a whim, and it took just one water change with IO to go running back to good ol coral pro!

chilwil84
04/29/2011, 08:19 PM
my next water change on my sps tank will be full red sea coral pro (switching from IO)so far i am loving it.

evoi19
04/29/2011, 10:38 PM
I use coral pro as well. Started with the old version and moved to the their newest mix. Their new version/mix is pretty good although it leaves a ton of residue in my mixing containers. Other than that, i like it. :)

dmastracchio
04/30/2011, 12:03 AM
I got 2 buckets downstairs sitting next to my 180 as it's filling with RO/DI. Can't wait to use it!

somethingphishy
04/30/2011, 04:50 AM
alk levels were way to high for my liking...was spiking my alk by one dkh every water change

zachfishman
04/30/2011, 12:15 PM
I'm a huge fan of Red Sea Coral Pro. I started my tank with it, made a mistake of buying IO on a whim, and it took just one water change with IO to go running back to good ol coral pro!

What do you mean by this? Could you see a noticeable change in coral health and/or appearance, or was it merely readings (i.e. Ca and Mg being a little low compared to the Red Sea mix)?

madcowz
04/30/2011, 12:46 PM
I thought it was awful. 14 dKH fresh mix.

DownwardDawg
04/30/2011, 12:58 PM
I love it too. I changed a year ago from IO and will never go back.

TreyK
04/30/2011, 01:00 PM
Levels are way too High. I like the old pro, but switched when they came out with the new.

zachfishman
04/30/2011, 01:06 PM
I love it too. I changed a year ago from IO and will never go back.

Can you tell me what in particular you love about it? Besides the few things we measure (Ca, Mg, alk, pH), I don't understand what else could be discernibly different between brands of salt (except for batch consistency maybe).

For instance, my IO mixes up at 350ppm Ca (a little low but I boost with a bit of Kent Turbo Calcium), decent Mg, KH 10, and pH ~8.2. Besides the Ca, I don't know how I'd "love" one brand of salt over the other unless for some reason I saw a dramatic response in my corals.

DownwardDawg
04/30/2011, 01:16 PM
My Ca and alk are perfect. I think I need a new test kit because I'm having trouble reading my mg. I don't dose anything, just do about a 12% water change every two weeks. Anyway, my tank looked much healthier shortly after I switched. I'm still learning a ton (3 years in the hobby), but a local guy that owns the most awesome tank I've ever seen in person, absolutely blasted me when he found out I was using Instant Ocean. He called it garbage, and a few other things I won't mention here. Red Sea is just one of the other brands he suggested. Everyone has opinions, but I see his tank in person so I know that I put some trust in his opinions.