PDA

View Full Version : Which has less risk adding to my reef- trigger or puffer?

chathomas
04/30/2011, 07:35 AM
I have a 90 gal filled with sps and lps, no fish right now. well established system. I want to add either a blue throat trigger or pink tail or one of the more reef safe puffers. Which would be less likely to eat my corals? I don't care if they eat my snails, I have a million and they are dirt cheap. Just worried about the corals. Any ideas appreciated.

campos
04/30/2011, 08:50 AM
I had a blue jaw who was a perfect citizen in my mixed reef

Gary Majchrzak
04/30/2011, 08:54 AM
90 is much too small for either Pink Tail or Bluethroat Trigger.

It's also too small for many puffers.
You'll have to get more specific on Puffer types being considered.

campos
04/30/2011, 09:09 AM
forgot to mention my blue jaw trigger was in a 125

chathomas
05/01/2011, 12:35 PM
not asking about if tank size is ok just if my corals will be ok.

Gary Majchrzak
05/01/2011, 04:02 PM
whether or not your corals will be okay is directly related to what fish you place in it and the size of the aquarium.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you the answer you want.

I would not recommend placing any Trigger or Puffer in a 90 gallon reef aquarium if you don't want corals to suffer for it.

Don't shoot the messenger.

LaOtIn
05/01/2011, 04:37 PM
im trying to grasp the logic here, not argue, not flame...

125 reef = ok for trigger?
but
90 reef = not ok for trigger?

personally I wouldnt put any trigger or any puffer in a reef, I would go with some reef friendly, peaceful guys, but call me crazy

chathomas
05/01/2011, 04:38 PM
the pinktail trigger is fine for a tank 70 gal or larger according to my books. Do you have other info. The blue throat needs a 125 gal so I agree with you there. There are many puffers in my book which are " add to reef with caution" that can be in 100 gal or less. Obviously if they are well fed they should be fine. I had a niger and a dog face in my last 120 gal reef. The diff/ besides 8 years is about 2 thousand in corals and I have done everything right and different this time. that niger and dog face never botherd any of my corals. I did not have any sps and I was young and really didn't care if they did. So, again tell me why the tank size should make a diff/ with a pink tail trigger so I can understand. I'm not shooting the messenger. Obviously my info is different from yours so please explain.

TexasMike
05/01/2011, 06:59 PM
the pinktail trigger is fine for a tank 70 gal or larger according to my books. Do you have other info. The blue throat needs a 125 gal so I agree with you there. There are many puffers in my book which are " add to reef with caution" that can be in 100 gal or less. Obviously if they are well fed they should be fine. I had a niger and a dog face in my last 120 gal reef. The diff/ besides 8 years is about 2 thousand in corals and I have done everything right and different this time. that niger and dog face never botherd any of my corals. I did not have any sps and I was young and really didn't care if they did. So, again tell me why the tank size should make a diff/ with a pink tail trigger so I can understand. I'm not shooting the messenger. Obviously my info is different from yours so please explain.

My guess would be a 90g is 4' whereas a 125g is 6' = more swimming room.

Gary Majchrzak
05/02/2011, 02:00 PM
the Pinktail Trigger (Melichthys vidua) is a "medium" aggressive fish species that grows to about a foot in length in captivity, sixteen inches in the wild.
May eat small fishes and crustaceans.

A 12" long fish in a 48" long 90 gallon is likely to inflict damage upon corals (whether intentionally or not) and (quite frankly) would look really bad.

djkms
05/02/2011, 04:24 PM
Im curious, what puffer would even be remotely safe in a reef tank?

anbosu
05/02/2011, 05:44 PM
Im curious, what puffer would even be remotely safe in a reef tank?

I've hard of people having small porcupine puffers, but after a while that would preclude having almost any other fish in the tank.

OregonReefer
05/02/2011, 08:16 PM
I've hard of people having small porcupine puffers, but after a while that would preclude having almost any other fish in the tank.

One of our LFS has a small PP in one of their display tanks... When I saw it I said "I heard most puffers aren't reef safe" He said... "as long as you don't have any shrimp or snails it's not going to bother anything"

IMHO he left out something in that statement... it's not going to bother anything until it's 8" long and wants to eat every fish under 4" long

Bosco83
05/02/2011, 09:15 PM
I had a Blue Jaw Trigger in my 90 gallon for a few years and he was fine. I got him pretty small and he is still only about five inches and is now in my 210. My wife has a Hawaiian Blue Spotted Puffer in her 60 gallon tank and he is fine doesn't bother anything not even snails.

Brian

chathomas
05/03/2011, 10:47 AM
I had a niger and a dog face prior in my 120 and they did fine BUT I didn't have the inventory I now have. I guess the bottom line is it is a risk and all the fish can have diff. personalities. I can't remember the name of the puffer that I found on live aquaria that was relatively small and considered caution with the reef instead of no with reef. I appreciate the insight. I am going to add a few more wrasse's and some gobies but really wanted a good swimmer and refuse to get a tang again. had a serious case of ick that killed 9 fish 6 months ago. the only 2 survivors are the black clown and fairy wrasse. I have tried to starve it out so will see by adding cheaper fish slowly. I really wanted a flame angel as well but think it may be riskier than the puffer or trigger. If I get a small trigger maybe all will be well. the kids really wanted another puffer due to their personalities.

chathomas
05/03/2011, 10:49 AM
thanks for the input. guess its just a gamble and I need to start an aggressive tank

slicknick1970
05/03/2011, 10:57 AM
You sound pretty determined to add these fish to ur reef. I would go with the pinktail. Polly the safest reef trigger I have seen. They have a great personality and can be hand fed if u r CAREFUL.

jlnielsen13
05/03/2011, 11:02 AM
I have had two blue throats and they are fine. Pinktails get HUGE and would be too big and are really -really aggressive. One at my LFS has a sign on his tank to stand back cause he will try to go through glass.
Thanks,
j

chathomas
05/03/2011, 11:04 AM
not going to add it unless I'm sure. Gonna add the new wrasse and others first. If small pink tail really is that much of a risk then I would rather not have to worry about it since my corals are all thriving. Just really want a medium size swimmer

RVANANO
05/03/2011, 11:08 AM
Only Sargassum and blue throat triggers are considered "reef safe" from what I have read. I would not put a pink tail in a reef tank. Too aggressive and they get massive.

chathomas
05/03/2011, 11:28 AM
thought blue throat got bigger than pink tail and pink tail for some reason are considered reef safe but with caution like the blue throat. maybe trigger just isn't gonna work

RVANANO
05/03/2011, 11:33 AM
I think any trigger is going to potentially do damage to a reef tank. None of them are going to be reef safe gauranteed.

I had two blue throats in my 120 and they did great for a while. But over time both died and I am not sure why. Both were extremely healthy looking, active, ate well etc. But one day I found them on the bottom of the tank about 2-3 months apart. All other fish were fine. I will not be getting another until I go 300 DD.