PDA

View Full Version : Looking to make a sump for a 10g nano tank...

ultimatedc
04/30/2011, 11:19 PM
It's baffling how it works. I believe I can wedge a 5 gallon tank under my stand, which would be what I'd use. My question is, without drilling the tank, what would I need to buy? I'm looking to go CHEAP.

SC Reefaholic
05/01/2011, 07:13 AM
You might get more info by posting in the Nano forum. Those guys can steer you in the right direction.

cody6766
05/01/2011, 10:24 AM
You'd need to make or buy a HOB overflow if you don't drill. You'll spend moremoney on a HOB than you would buying the cheap overflow kit from glass holes and drilling yourself. Plus, they give you candy in the box! Drilling is stupid easy if you have a drill and a garden hose...or bathtub.

NanoReefWanabe
05/01/2011, 11:08 AM
You'd need to make or buy a HOB overflow if you don't drill. You'll spend moremoney on a HOB than you would buying the cheap overflow kit from glass holes and drilling yourself. Plus, they give you candy in the box! Drilling is stupid easy if you have a drill and a garden hose...or bathtub.
oh dont do it in the bathtub...my ears are still ringing from drilling a tank in the tub a couple years ago...LOL, but agreed, it will be cheaper, easier, safer and better all around to drill the tank.

hail_sniper
05/01/2011, 11:10 AM
I'm for the glass holes kit it really is the best route to go.. A sump is never cheap. U can go cheap if you placed it above the tank and had a pump sending up water and a tube delivering the overflow back. I did this in my 5 gal nano back in the day for cheaaaaapa.

Jabrams
05/01/2011, 12:42 PM
You might be able to just use a "U-Tube" to create the syphon and drop down to your sump. You need a hose to connect to the u-tube then down to your sump. It's cheap.

You need to be sure your sump doesn't overflow once water reach the bottom of the utube otherwise you'll have an overflow of water in your sump to deal with .

DreTheReefer
05/01/2011, 12:43 PM
I saw someone partition a five gallon bucket if you wqnnq go real "economical"

Gold Stripe
05/01/2011, 02:13 PM
Again, I would check out the Nano forum. Drilling a 10 is a different animal than even a 20 or 30. The glass is very thin so much more prone to cracking if you bind up the drill. Also, you have to completely support your pluming as you want ZERO torque in the bulkheads due to the thin glass. You want to find the smallest overflow you can since you dont have much display room.

Without drilling your only real option is a hang on overflow. Most of them are pretty sizable so you will be giving up some tank room.

Between the two I would drill and build my own small overflow but again you want to do it the right way.

Good luck.

cody6766
05/01/2011, 05:12 PM
oh dont do it in the bathtub...my ears are still ringing from drilling a tank in the tub a couple years ago...LOL, but agreed, it will be cheaper, easier, safer and better all around to drill the tank.
haha, you definitely want to use ear plug or something similar.

hardin4019
05/01/2011, 07:18 PM
Don't get a CPR over flow, get a U tube overflow... Check around, you may be able to get one from ebay or from a local reef club member. Otherwise you end up paying like 40 bucks or more for a new one that is probably bigger than you need. If you are handy, you could always get some plexi and Weldon and make your own too for probably half the cost, and in a better shape and size for a 10g tank.
http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=ES-PF-300&Category_Code=

NanoReefWanabe
05/01/2011, 07:31 PM
"drilling" a ten is no different then a larger tank...glass is glass and heat and pressure are your enemies...for thinner glass such as tens5 etc even 20's i use a rotozip tile cutting bit...you can use it in any rotary tool you have (dremel, rotozip, drill) it doesnt matter as long as it spins...the nice thing about using a tile cutting bit is you never actually apply any pressure across the glass (ie pushing on it) all the work is done pushing with the glass (ie you cut from the side) and there is practically zero chance of you binding the bit, unless you really really tilt the bit like would almost have to go 90*....