PDA

View Full Version : back in the hobby

shino380
05/01/2011, 06:46 PM
So i used to be in the hobby but after a few moves and no time i've stopped the hobby for about 5 yrs now. I am acquiring some hammers and a maroon clown from a friend who can't continue the hobby. I used to have 2 MH for a 55 gallon tank(still have the MH but rather not use it in an apt b/c of the heat).. I'm trying to setup a 30 gallon cube, i need the latest info on lights and skimmer... has the technology changed? it seemed when iwas in the hobby, T5s were slowly making a move but it seemed MH was still top dog, any thoughts??

disc1
05/01/2011, 07:02 PM
A LOT has changed. I bet you would get more hits on this site if you search for "LED" than if you search for "cyano". The 3W LED's are all the rage now. If I had your tank and hadn't bought lights yet, I would definitely look into them. Lower heat, Super Low power consumption, lower light bill, Longer life by many fold. They are also easy to use with a dimmer to create some really neat lighting effects. I have a dream of a controller that handles a whole array of LED's and simulates everything from sunrise to sunset to clouds drifting across the sun in color and intensity.

In my personal opinion, most of the people with bad experiences saved money on LED's. If you are willing to put up the money up front for good stuff, they are awesome.

napier02
05/01/2011, 10:22 PM
for a 30 cube u can get a par 38 led bulb or two. They aren't too expensive and for LPS they should be enough liht

shino380
05/02/2011, 01:55 PM
Led?? Cool will check thAt out. How bout hang on skimmers?