PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Magus NAC6 break-in, new system, new Atman – foaming like crazy

fatoldsun
05/02/2011, 10:20 AM
I’m pretty sure this is abnormal and likely not the fault of the skimmer but I’m trying to rule everything out…
This is a shot of the skimmer shortly after I dropped it in the sump for the first time
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/cea85267.jpg
Details….
DT is a 90g
Sump is a 40
Skimmer, as I said is a Bubble Magus NAC6 – so it’s in sump. Also, I replaced the Atman 2500 pump. The replacement had a needle wheel. I have the mesh from the old burned-out pump but on the chance that the wheel contributed to its demise, I kept the needle wheel.
Tank and (refugium, in sump) have a total of 160 lbs of aragonite sand from Marco Rocks so no bacteria there yet
Tank has about 70 lbs of LR (will be adding more when I switch my livestock over to this system.
Water is all RO/Di (accept what I used to rinse the sand – some of that made it in, I’m sure but it was rinsed in clean buckets I use to make SW

I waited for the dust storm to settle before I started the skimmer’s break in.
First idea was to play with the height. I started with the mfg’s suggestion of 25-27cm. That’s the eruption shot above. Then I played with different heights and stopped at ~6”
Here it is raised up
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/74073d9d.jpg
– still pretty foamy… It’s actually foaming out of the top of the exhaust and I have that set to max now – I tried playing with it but the lower I went the worse the eruption
I actually have the skimmate cup draining back into the sump b/c it was filling up in less than 5 minutes.
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/03571410.jpg

I don’t think I can raise it up any more – here it is off – the water level now is just barely above the top of the leading box
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/441713c7.jpg
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/d9671f26.jpg

Can it (should it) be raised any higher?
Could this be an issue because I don’t have enough bacteria yet and there’s no skimmate to weigh down the bubbles?
Any thoughts on the new pump? Could it be running stronger than its rated – is there any way to adjust that to see if it helps?
Could it be the needle wheel vs. the mesh wheel?
Should I just add a shrimp in there to see if I get something from a bacteria bloom?

Any thoughts

jeepinreefer07
05/02/2011, 10:36 AM
Run the skimmer in ro water with vinegar for a night. This breaks the skimmer in a little and removes any oils or ext from the plastic. When running the skimmer in fresh water and vinegar you should have no over flow. If you do then it has something to do with the pump. Fresh water will not bubble like it does in saltwater. Maker sure the return pipe is also all the way open. Then put it back into the sump with about 8-10in of water more or less. This should help keep us updated!

fatoldsun
05/02/2011, 10:46 AM
Hey, Thanks! what ratio of water to vinegar are you thinking?

somethingphishy
05/02/2011, 10:53 AM
run mine in 10in w/o any issues....did u use any water conditoners?

fatoldsun
05/02/2011, 10:57 AM
run mine in 10in w/o any issues....did u use any water conditoners?

Nope, just what I listed, RO/Di, marine salt, sand and a bit of LR...

somethingphishy
05/02/2011, 11:12 AM
on their web site they suggest 9-13in and 6in as a minimum...would try deepe

make sure the outlet is fully open...looks like it was in the one picture

make sure nothing is clogging the venturi and tube

if none of that works put back in the mesh

sneaton
05/02/2011, 11:59 AM
turn the air off and see if that helps...let it run for a day

fatoldsun
05/02/2011, 12:54 PM
on their web site they suggest 9-13in and 6in as a minimum...would try deepe

Started at 11" - at that depth it was enough foam to literally blow the lid off - crazy, huh?

It's been running for 2 days - I hope the skimmer starts to get a handle on it soon -

jeepinreefer07
05/03/2011, 09:59 AM
Hey, Thanks! what ratio of water to vinegar are you thinking?

I put about 3 cups in the sink with about 5gallon of water give or take. You cant really go overboard! And the water depth should not effect the skimmer that much. Like the other guys said 10in should be fine.

wildman926
05/03/2011, 10:19 AM

Turning the air off will produce more water volume, which obviously this skimmer body does not handle very well. It needs more air.

fatoldsun
05/03/2011, 10:53 AM
I think the initial problem cleared up. Looks like rinsing the filter sock was all it took
Thanks for all the suggestions. It was a huge help.

somethingphishy
05/04/2011, 06:06 AM
I think the initial problem cleared up. Looks like rinsing the filter sock was all it took
Thanks for all the suggestions. It was a huge help.
was it a new sock...the ones I buy make my skimmer go nuts...ive learned to wash them first...glad to hear u corrected the problem

saltydogg21
05/04/2011, 05:26 PM
I have a NAC 7, I had my tank running for awhile I think it was set at 8 inches I went ahead and added like 100lbs of live rock and mine did the same thing just exploded with foam. i actually ran it for 5 days with no cup on low and raised it up to 6inches and its working fine now once the tank gets used to the new rock ill go back to the 8 inches.

Gtt1988
05/04/2011, 10:12 PM
crush some trileptal and feed it to your skimmer

fatoldsun
05/04/2011, 10:45 PM
crush some trileptal and feed it to your skimmer

What's trileptal exactly? Im not a pharmacist or a Dr, where does one go to puck up trileptal?

Bilk
05/05/2011, 07:14 AM
Man I wish mine was foaming like that. Can't get much skimmate out of mine. It sits in 9.5" of water. If I adjust the water height inside the chamber up to the neck as it states, the bubbles are big and burst before skimmate can be formed. I have it adjusted to an inch below the neck and it makes a stable foam, but not enough to push it all the way out.

fatoldsun
05/05/2011, 07:59 AM
Man I wish mine was foaming like that.

Apparently all you need to do is add a new filter-sock to the system without rinsing and your wish will come true (not sure that really helps you though - but you'll have plenty of foam) :spin2: