PDA

View Full Version : House fire and a small problem

1fishkeeper
05/02/2011, 12:42 PM
Well everyone I have a small problem on my hands. My brothers house had house fire that burned up a lot of things. One of them being part of his tank. A lot of his coral didnt make it but he does have a few that he has fragged a few small chunks of it to keep. The big problem for his he will be living in a hotel while they work on his house. And while they are doing that the power with be off and on.
So here is the big question for all of the smart people out and about on here. I just started up my new tank. It has just about finished up the cycle but its still going through it. The frags that he could save he was wanting to know if he could ship them to me. To keep while his house is done and give him enough time to get another tank up and going. I have been keeping reefs for alomst 10 years now but I have always had a fully cycled tank before I even thought about putting anything in it. So I was thinking that I might get away with it if I do 5 gallon water changes everyday my total water amount is around 52-54 gallons. Im thinking that should keep everything in check until the cycle gets finish. But I have to let him know here in couple of hours so he can ship them to me. The big reason why he wants to do this is so he can get frags back when his tank is up and going. And I think he wants someone to put the blame on if they die (its a brother thing I think). That is why he wants me to get them and not someone else around him.
So whats your ideas on this. Do you think it will work out and I wont kill all of the frags off. Or if you know of a better idea let me know. And im not talking add some type of snake oil to my tank that makes cycle happen over night. Anyone else have to add things to their tanks early?

neoalchemist74
05/02/2011, 01:06 PM
Put them in a QT tank with daily water changes until your cycle is done!

1fishkeeper
05/02/2011, 01:21 PM
My QT tank dont have a light to it. When ever I add corals to my tank I always just dip them and do a good look on them. But I guess I might have to do it this way.

seapug
05/02/2011, 01:26 PM
If he lives so far away that he would have to ship them to you then you'd have to ship them back, he'd be better off to call around and find and LFS that will "rent" him some space to store his frags until he's back up and running. Considering the cost of shipping back and forth and the risks involved, having him look into a local solution might be the best place to start.

dogstar74
05/02/2011, 01:35 PM
Sounds like a good way to get yourself some frags in the deal. I doubt they would be in any more harm in your tank than in his fried tank. But I agree with Seapug that shipping would be more stressful for the animals. Also, I don't know if you can find anyone to ship live animals from private party to another private party. The online guys get away with it because they are businesses, but persons shipping is totally different and most carriers won't accept livestock to ship. Just my .02.
Aaron

1fishkeeper
05/02/2011, 01:48 PM
We use to ship to each other all of the time when I had my other tank up and running. I dont mind paying for shipping because I know I will be getting a few LE's.

Toddrtrex
05/02/2011, 01:54 PM
How far is the shipping? Wondering if the frags are already stressed (( from the fire )) that shipping them and then putting them in a newly cycled tank might just be too much for them.

1fishkeeper
05/02/2011, 02:08 PM
They will be shipped from Idaho to Washington. Not a real far we were just talking on the phone to maybe do it Delta dash so they would only be boxed up for a couple of hours.

nrbelk
05/02/2011, 02:52 PM
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear about that. What part in Idaho? I also live in the great potato state. I hate hearing about bad things happening like that. If he lives nearby feel free to let me know if there is anything I could do to help too.

1fishkeeper
05/02/2011, 03:09 PM
He lives down by Bear Lake in I think its call Lake City. But yeah it was a kitchen fire and his tank is set up dinning room thats right next to the kitchen. But we were talking to my other brother and we can ship for free on southwest because he works for them. So score one for us.

nrbelk
05/02/2011, 03:22 PM
nice! hope it all works out!