PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some live rock for nano tank.

ultimatedc
05/03/2011, 01:43 AM
Wondering where I can get some? I have a 10g tank with about 15lbs of live rock in it, unfortunately some pieces have what -appears- to be nasty algae growth.

I'm interested in purchasing some LR rich with purple coraline, whether from a user, or from a website. My only problem is, some of the better sites ship straight to airlines, where a 100 dollar charge is usually mandatory.

Not looking to spend THAT much and I only need about 10 more lbs after I switch out the rock in here.

The algae in question is reddish pink, some have a tinge of green. Dunno if it's good algae but it certainly doesn't look good.

ange062
05/03/2011, 07:40 AM
TBS always seems to deliver some amazing packages.
http://tbsaltwater.com

ultimatedc
05/03/2011, 01:08 PM
Oh I believe it, their stuff looks beautiful but they're one of, if not the most expensive LR dealers I've found. :(

ange062
05/03/2011, 01:43 PM
Get what you pay for :)

IME, any nice looking tonga with coralline and the works is going to cost $9+ per pound at the LFS, anything you get online is going to be expensive because of shipping. You will probably have a lot of dieoff and bleaching during the cycle anyway (I lost most of the coralline on the fancy LR I bought).

If you want to do it cheap, get dry macro rock from BRS and do your cycle the hard way. You will have more options with your scape, save a lot of money, and the coralline will come in a couple of months anyway.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/eco-rox-fiji-dry-rock

dixiedog
05/04/2011, 08:07 AM
I've come to the conclusion that I would never buy rock again sight unseen. I want to see it with my own eyes, look for pests, pick the pieces myself, etc. I'm also a fan of starting with dry rock, although I'm in the minority there and that's a whole 'nuther question anyway.

Are there no LFS in your area that sell good rock? What about local reef clubs? They can often be very helpful.

Speaking of being in the minority, I don't like the look of Tampa Bay Saltwater's rock AT ALL. To me it looks like something nasty that grew under a wharf, and needs to be scraped off along with the hordes of pests in it. JMHO ;)