PDA

View Full Version : Help me switch to T5's from halides

RebelReef
05/03/2011, 01:19 PM
Hello everyone,

I've decided to give T5's a shot. I have never used them and don't really know much about them. I have always used metal halides but I'm getting tired of dealing with heat and I don't care for the shimmer anymore. I like the clean look of T5.

I'm looking at getting some recommendations on fixtures. Not looking to spend a ton of money. That being said, I still want a great fixture and I'm looking for a happy medium between cost and function.

Obiviously, an 8 bulb Ati power module would be my first choice. In a close second I was thinking of the 7 bulb Aquatinics Constellation. Third down the line is a 8 bulb TEK fixture.

I have a 4' x 2' 90 gallon tank. Mixed reef but I would say 80% of it is SPS. I want to be able to grow any coral anywhere in the tank. For example, I want to be able to grow SPS on the bottom of the tank.

From my research and budget, I think the 7 bulb Constellation is the way to go for me. But if I could get away with using the 8 bulb tek fixture, then I would do that. Also, if I have to break down and get a Power Module, that's what I'll do. Just looking for peoples experiences. If you have another fixture to recommend, please do so. I'm open.

Thank you all!

Airborne
05/03/2011, 01:33 PM
I switched from MH to T5. Faced your same decision. Exactly my choices as well in that exact order. That being said, I went with a Tek 8 bulb using ATI bulbs. My neighbor has a MH/T5 fixture set up same time. we use the same BRS products same salt same water. Only difference in our tanks is the lighting.

I keep my Tek 8 bulb hanging at 5" above the water level. The difference between our tanks is major. He came over yesterday to ask for another frag of my Plum Crazy. Growth is great and color rocks.

I threw a Bali Green Slimer on the sand bed and it has maintained it's color. I do know that the ATI is a way better fixture but for the money? I am kool with my Tek 8 bulb and no it's not the Elite with the fans. by the way my tank is about 90% SPS.

RebelReef
05/03/2011, 02:21 PM
Airborne, that's the EXCACT kind of response I am looking for. I'm glad that you made the transition so well. A friend of mine uses the 8 bulb TEK and is hounding me to get one. I guess TEK lights might be moving on up my list... Thanks!

solitude127
05/03/2011, 02:25 PM
Have you considered the ATI SunPower? It's cost hundreds less and only about 5% loss in performance compared to the PM.

RebelReef
05/03/2011, 02:28 PM
Have you considered the ATI SunPower? It's cost hundreds less and only about 5% loss in performance compared to the PM.

You know... that one totally slipped my mind. Only 5% less in performance? WOW, I did not know that! I am definately going to look into one of these as well.

rtparty
05/03/2011, 08:29 PM
ATI Sunpower, no question.

A 6 bulb will do just fine for a 90 gallon tank.

RebelReef
05/03/2011, 10:28 PM
A 6 bulb would be okay? Would a 8 bulb be too much? I have a few LPS on the bottom that don't like too much light. I have to keep them in the shade. If there are some other opinions on a 6 bulb that would be great. Thanks.

rtparty
05/04/2011, 08:31 AM
A 6 bulb would be okay? Would a 8 bulb be too much? I have a few LPS on the bottom that don't like too much light. I have to keep them in the shade. If there are some other opinions on a 6 bulb that would be great. Thanks.

8 bulbs is just overkill unless you are going to upgrade to a 120 or something else 24" front to back.

A 6 bulb Sunpower will do the job you are looking for. I wouldn't look at anything else.

Bosco83
05/04/2011, 09:16 AM
I agree six bulb is all you need I had a Tek retro and I couldn't fit anymore reflectors. T5's give way better color than mh. I had a friend that ran mh and I would always buy frags from him. One day I finally had something he didn't have so I grew a frag out for him. When he came over to pick it up he kept asking about my zoa's and what they were. I laughed and had to tell him they were the ones I got from him. He and his wife couldn't believe the colors mine were.