PDA

View Full Version : Going out of town, so HAVE to get outside access running. DYNDNS question.

cr500_af
05/03/2011, 07:09 PM
I have access working correctly from within my network.
I have also set up a dyndns accout (we'll call it barry.dyndns.net).

Since I need to specify a port, do I understand correctly that I need a second, "webhop" account with them? I.e., one that contains the port info, and my barry.dyndns.net domain would point to that one, which would actually access my Apex?
The information on their site assumes a level of IT knowledge that I do not posess. :)

aquamanic
05/03/2011, 07:22 PM
No, you do not need to setup a 'webhop' account. You define the port forwarding rules within your router.

cr500_af
05/03/2011, 07:34 PM
OK... look for more questions soon, though I hope not. :)

aquamanic
05/03/2011, 08:07 PM
Try reading Chapter 2 in the User Guide (see my avatar) and pay attention to the referenced links. Should get you most of the way there. Post any questions back here.

scsuboy18
05/03/2011, 08:08 PM
You have to enable port forwarding in your router to "point" the router to the static IP address you created, or should have created for your APEX. The port to open is port 80...typically the web serving port. In DYNDNS, you create an account which "Captures" the iP address given by your internet provider and links it to the custom URL you create. Thus, when you type the URL in, your Router which otherwise normally would have blocked the traffic (aka "Firewall"), will now allow the traffic to flow to the APEX and back out into the Internet. To set up port forwarding, follow the instructions from the manufacturer.

petzerman
05/04/2011, 02:55 PM
i have the same problem to but i followed everything on the verizon guide. but the last step i could not get the dynamic dns status to UPDATED it says not updated. what do i do from there?