PDA

View Full Version : slime in mixing container?

Netofficer3710
05/04/2011, 09:00 PM
I use 2 44 gal food grade brute cans on wheels, one for RO water and 1 for mixing saltwater. these cans both sit in out utility room and get zero light unless someone is in the room and turns on the light which is almost never.

I always top off my mixing container and add the appropriate ammount of salt whenever I take water out.

the mixing container has a 400 GPH powerhead hung on the side with a air tube to inject air into the output stream and a lifter tube going all the way to the bottom so that water is taken from the bottom (and salt) and it is brought back to the top in an attempt to get all of the water to constantly circulate 24/7

it has come to my attention that both cans have a slimy coat growing on the inside walls.

what is this slime and is it harmful? is there anything I can do to avoid this?

Flippers4pups
05/04/2011, 09:08 PM
Bacteria most likely. How often do you clean them out? Do you use RO or RO/DI?

Netofficer3710
05/04/2011, 09:13 PM
I have not cleaned them since I set up my tank, my tank is a few months old. I use RO/DI

duncantse
05/04/2011, 09:20 PM
Not sure if it's harmful or not but I always get a lot of these "slime" on my mixing saltwater powerhead. I don't think this is harmful though.

Flippers4pups
05/04/2011, 10:10 PM
I have not cleaned them since I set up my tank, my tank is a few months old. I use RO/DI

I always clean out my mixing tank "AFTER" each water change by rinsing it out with tap water. If i get scale build up from calcium precipitation during mixing, i let i build up till it gets thick and then i clean it out with vinegar.

If you don't at least rinse it out once in awhile, you'll get bacteria growth, which could lead to cyano out breaks.