PDA

View Full Version : RBTA par requirements

125mph
05/05/2011, 11:01 AM
Just curious.. what do you think a RBTA par requirements are? We know SPS is around 200-500, LPS is like 150-250...

Do you think the RBTA is around 300-500? Mine sits on a top of my rock structure, right under the AI LEDs... He seems to like it there.. I don't have a par meter but I'm guessing its around 500 par there minimum...

Just curious :artist:

Faye
05/05/2011, 03:47 PM
Just curious.. what do you think a RBTA par requirements are? We know SPS is around 200-500, LPS is like 150-250...

Do you think the RBTA is around 300-500? Mine sits on a top of my rock structure, right under the AI LEDs... He seems to like it there.. I don't have a par meter but I'm guessing its around 500 par there minimum...

Just curious :artist:

I don't know what the actual number par should be for where they sit, but I do know that they can be kept under power compacts with success, so it isn't needed to have 300-500 par to keep a rbta. How ever they probably will appreciate it more. :)

deangelr
05/05/2011, 04:16 PM
I don't know what the actual number par should be for where they sit, but I do know that they can be kept under power compacts with success, so it isn't needed to have 300-500 par to keep a rbta. How ever they probably will appreciate it more. :)

This is not true. I kept a BTAs under a 75w 48inch T5 fixture for years. By the time I was done with that tank, it was a tank full of anemones...

My BTA's were not colorfull but they were very healthy.. I would guess par values between 75-100 would be fine.

PHensley
05/05/2011, 05:30 PM
Thats interesting. I would like a nem but I have 2X54w T5 HO over my 55 gallon. I am trying to get two more fixtures but a good deal just hasn't come up yet. The lighting guys think that at least 4 total is needed to keep a nem in my tank.

phender
05/05/2011, 06:14 PM
Thats interesting. I would like a nem but I have 2X54w T5 HO over my 55 gallon. I am trying to get two more fixtures but a good deal just hasn't come up yet. The lighting guys think that at least 4 total is needed to keep a nem in my tank.

"a nem" is pretty vague. However, back in the old days I was very successful keeping BTAs under 4 x 40 watt NO fluorescent bulbs as long as the tank wasn't more than 18" deep. I don't know what 160 watts of NO T12 lumens translates to in HO T5 lumens per watt, but BTAs (and haddoni carpets) have the lowest light requirements of the host anemones. In my experience 160 watts of NO lights over a shallow(<19") 48" tank was about as low as you would ever want to go.

jimmy_beaner
05/05/2011, 06:23 PM
mine just fine under PCs

mobert
05/05/2011, 07:01 PM
My BTA's clones live under power compacts but they are a LOT more colorful under 400 watt metal halides.

hypnoj
05/05/2011, 07:15 PM
man.. I'm running 5 x Evil's PAR 38 20k LED's over my 80 gallon cube (around 9 inches off the water) and my BTA's have horrible color. They should be sittin' at an easy 300-500 PAR. I don't know what I should do. I feel like I have $500 down the drain.

125mph
05/05/2011, 07:57 PM
man.. I'm running 5 x Evil's PAR 38 20k LED's over my 80 gallon cube (around 9 inches off the water) and my BTA's have horrible color. They should be sittin' at an easy 300-500 PAR. I don't know what I should do. I feel like I have $500 down the drain.

What par are those giving?

someotherguy
05/05/2011, 08:08 PM
I've just got one about 2 weeks ago and he settled in after one night. I've got AI Sols on the AI mounts (about 4" above water). I've also only got the lights at a max of 55% for a few hours a day. He has doubled in size and looks good. I know it is still very early but I would have thought that if he wanted more light he would just move up (he is in a crack about 2" above the sand).

this is me
05/05/2011, 08:25 PM
I don't think you would need to worry about par on bta. Most of the reef lightning today is sufficient to not only keep them but they'll thrive. Water condition is more important.
However, if you were to keep gigantea and magnifica then more powerful lighting is needed along with the proper water condition.
Just my 2cents.

hypnoj
05/06/2011, 06:44 AM
What par are those giving?

according to the latest numbers, around 900 PAR at the surface and around 150 PAR at 18 inches. That's just my point. All of my nems have to be getting around 500 PAR right now, my water conditions are really good, and the anemone's themselves look really really good. However, the coloring on the red ones look bad to me. They aren't nearly as red as when I got them, they don't look bleached either though, they've just sorta turned more green with orange bulbs. In fact I know that if I posted pictures of them everyone would be bugging me to buy them because of the orange coloring, but the truth is, they're just red ones that have turned orange. At this point I'm very frustrated with buying the Evil's PAR 38's and wondering if I should have just stuck with MH's.

jake levi
05/06/2011, 06:58 AM
I kept BTAs under a 4' 4 lamp HO fixture for years and had great growth on my bubble tips, also the soft corals, I will have similar on my 8' frag tank when its set up, either softies or BTs. Right now I am breaking down to move, my clowns,nems are at a friends til reset up and cycled again.

hypnoj
05/06/2011, 08:58 AM
I kept BTAs under a 4' 4 lamp HO fixture for years and had great growth on my bubble tips, also the soft corals, I will have similar on my 8' frag tank when its set up, either softies or BTs. Right now I am breaking down to move, my clowns,nems are at a friends til reset up and cycled again.

That's just my point. I don't think PAR has anything to do with it when it comes to LED's. I think it is a color spectrum problem. I clearly have enough PAR, my tank is bright! But the color of my anemone's just isn't there.

phender
05/06/2011, 09:33 AM
That's just my point. I don't think PAR has anything to do with it when it comes to LED's. I think it is a color spectrum problem. I clearly have enough PAR, my tank is bright! But the color of my anemone's just isn't there.

I think you are right. It sounds like a color spectrum problem to me.

pfan151
05/06/2011, 09:40 AM
according to the latest numbers, around 900 PAR at the surface and around 150 PAR at 18 inches. That's just my point. All of my nems have to be getting around 500 PAR right now, my water conditions are really good, and the anemone's themselves look really really good. However, the coloring on the red ones look bad to me. They aren't nearly as red as when I got them, they don't look bleached either though, they've just sorta turned more green with orange bulbs. In fact I know that if I posted pictures of them everyone would be bugging me to buy them because of the orange coloring, but the truth is, they're just red ones that have turned orange. At this point I'm very frustrated with buying the Evil's PAR 38's and wondering if I should have just stuck with MH's.

Do the par 38's use CW or NW for the white lights? If they are CW's that is probably your problem. I have a RB/NW setup (not par 38's but still cree leds) in my LED system and my RBTA looks amazing. Is it possible to change out individual LEDS on the par 38 bulbs? The NW's really bring out the colors in corals much better.

Faye
05/06/2011, 11:13 AM
This is not true. I kept a BTAs under a 75w 48inch T5 fixture for years. By the time I was done with that tank, it was a tank full of anemones...

My BTA's were not colorfull but they were very healthy.. I would guess par values between 75-100 would be fine.

What is not true about what I said? You said the same thing I did only with a source of light as an example. If your anemone was not colorful, and by that you mean bleached, that is not healthy.

deangelr
05/06/2011, 12:12 PM
What is not true about what I said? You said the same thing I did only with a source of light as an example. If your anemone was not colorful, and by that you mean bleached, that is not healthy.

I just said not colorful.. I didnt say bleached.. I wouldn't call a rich dark brown color, colorfull, nor would I describe that as bleached. . I can also tell you that those anemones were healthy, they took over the whole tank..

You can tell people that BTAs wont survive on under PCs but that is just not the case..

Gold Stripe
05/06/2011, 12:42 PM
You can tell people that BTAs wont survive on under PCs but that is just not the case..

:confused:

I dont recall him saying that at all. Did you actually read his comments? Your response makes absolutely no sense.

Faye
05/06/2011, 01:03 PM
I just said not colorful.. I didnt say bleached.. I wouldn't call a rich dark brown color, colorfull, nor would I describe that as bleached. . I can also tell you that those anemones were healthy, they took over the whole tank..

Re read my original post.

coralreefdoc
05/06/2011, 02:11 PM

U sure they wernt Mojanos lol