PDA

View Full Version : Flex tubing or PVC?

gimmic
05/05/2011, 03:31 PM
So this seems like an appropriate place to ask even though I'm building my second tank currently..

Previously, I had used all PVC in plumbing. This time I'm thinking of going with mostly flex tubing because breaking down/changing PVC was a pain.

Is there a reason not to use flex, or some benefit of PVC that I'm missing?

BurntOutReefer
05/05/2011, 03:36 PM
IMO personal choice......I use flex now over PVC for the same reasons as you experienced

cakemanPA
05/05/2011, 04:01 PM
I use hard pvc and flexible pvc with lots of unions to help with breakdown and cleanup. I will not use the real flexible hose anymore. The stuff was just one headache after another for me.

Just2Many
05/05/2011, 05:44 PM
I use hard pvc and flexible pvc with lots of unions to help with breakdown and cleanup. I will not use the real flexible hose anymore. The stuff was just one headache after another for me.

+1 PVC with unions you can always reuse it as it last forever.

Lynnmw1208
05/05/2011, 07:21 PM
I like the flex tube because it was so easy to connect under the sump and I didn't have to worry about bends limiting my flow. I did use PVC to connect the fittings onto the hoses though.

HCruzer
05/06/2011, 05:29 AM
^ Agree ^
When working on sump the Flex PVC is the easist to work with! Use a lot of unions and plan it out before you start putting it together.

cheers,
Henry

potterjon
05/06/2011, 07:10 AM
The key to maintenance with pvc is the "zero clearance union", as stated before. These make maintenance very simple when placed appropriately. My problem with flex tubing is that most people use metal hose clamps to hold it in place. These easily rust over time and break. I have also tried zip ties but simply couldn't get them tight enough on flexible tubing. I had the flex line from a return pump popoff once when I wasn't home but luckily my gf was home and called me in time to shut off the power. Now, all I use is pvc glued together with zero clearance unions. Also, the flex tube is clear and allows light in and that can lead to algae growth in the tube.

Dr Colliebreath
05/06/2011, 09:33 PM
I use braided PVC flexible tubing (foodsafe, from U.S. Plastics - http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25114&catid=736) because it is easier to work with for me. I have used hard PVC in the past, but don't see any advantage to it.

I clamp the tubing with stainless steel clamps at the bottom of the tank for the fittings on my overflow and return lines, and I haven't had any rust problems. I double-clamp.

For fittings at the sump, I use the plastic clamps and tighten with pliers. Again, double-clamp.

OregonReefer
05/06/2011, 10:22 PM
I've really enjoyed working with flexible PVC... not the vinyl tubing stuff that requires a barb fitting but real "flexible PVC"... You glue it together just like you would regular PVC pipe but it's bendable

You can get most sizes by the foot at flexpvc.com

jkcoon
05/07/2011, 04:43 PM
I prefer rigid PCV but each end gets a short piece of Spaflex (flexible PVC) to help reduce vibrations and allow some play... also, as previous posters noted... lots of unions

rad1687
05/07/2011, 09:07 PM
How do you connect the Flex PVC Tubing to the bulkheads or valves? Are there options besides the barb fitting?

five O
05/07/2011, 09:44 PM
Simple, use spa flex. You can glue it just like regular PVC. The best stuff on the market, just a little pricey at about $2 a foot.

rad1687
05/07/2011, 10:52 PM
Awesome thank you five o!

yz250motoxrider
05/08/2011, 06:50 AM
you will get less head loss with flex because you have gentle curves. With pvc you have sharp 90degree turns and many unions which will reduce flow.

CLisPRO
05/08/2011, 09:27 AM
so if i use flex it will give me more flow, but what if i use 45 degree angles instead