PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Attached to Snail

windyridge
05/05/2011, 07:24 PM
We recently purchased a young rose bubble anemone and he came to the LFS attached to a snail. He doesn't move around, the snail does. The store said they'd never seen that before. Is this a rare occurrence? The anemone is still attached to the snail in our tank as well. The snail moves all over the tank but in general stays towards the top if not right at the top and the anemone seems happy.

willybub
05/05/2011, 07:27 PM
sounds like and anemone hermit crab haha maybe the anemone thinks its on a crab shell

1fishkeeper
05/05/2011, 07:27 PM
When the anemone becomes no longer happy it will move off of the snail. But Im sure its a sight to see right now.

sesheru95
05/05/2011, 08:54 PM
Seems pretty cool, got any pictures?

windyridge
05/05/2011, 10:29 PM
Sure http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150175626359294.320868.685929293&l=748f5ccb19

I am a little concerned when the snail decides to move too close to corals and one day he may move next to the condy. Not sure why the LFS sold me the bubble knowing I had a condy and all the corals. But It was touching the xenia earlier today and nothing happened. The condy is very happy where it is and hasn't moved since it found it's spot.

SkullV
05/05/2011, 11:31 PM
Once the novelty wears off (pretty cool thing to see) you can just rub a little ice cube around the anemone's foot and it will release. Then you can place it wherever you hope it will stay.

windyridge
05/06/2011, 07:23 AM
Thanks that sounds like a good idea. It's been touching the xenia since last night but other than withdrawing it's little fans, the xenia is fine. I might try the ice method pretty soon.

bradleym
05/06/2011, 08:12 AM
That's a gorgeous RBTA. I woulda bought it too.

+1 on the ice trick plus maybe gentle rubbing under the edge.

windyridge
05/06/2011, 03:02 PM
So the snail was right next to the condy when I checked the tank. I figured I better move it before a problem ensued so the ice worked with the added rubbing of it's foot. It took longer than I would have expected and I was nervous that I would damage him. All the activity brought the brittle star out. When the anemone floated to the bottom the star started wrapping a leg around it. That alarmed me so I moved the anemone to a rock. Now he's too close to the xenia! Lol. But he looks happy and healthy. Meanwhile, the condy is really close to the Apataisa now. Who will sting who...should I do something. The shrimp have started eating the aptaisias.

SkullV
05/06/2011, 04:42 PM
I would just let things run their course at this point. Hopefully the peppermint shrimp will take care of your aptasia problem, the fact that you can see them eating it is great. The BTA is going to go wherever it wants until it is happy so just let it be and it will get there. Luckily, if the worst thing that happens is some xenia gets stung it will regenerate quickly and you will be back in business.

sesheru95
05/06/2011, 05:46 PM
Oh wow! that rbta is blood red! Good luck with the rbta it's a real gem.

StealthRider
05/07/2011, 03:57 AM
Ha I had my rainbow attached to a little turbo for a bit, but like SkullV said. they can become a problem. took out some of my acros on its escapade. I would take it off before this happens to you.

windyridge
05/12/2011, 09:19 AM
The peppermint shrimp are doing their job and the Aptasia are slowly declining. The RBT is doing very well without the snail home. Thanks for the help everyone.