PDA

View Full Version : Large Tank Recommendation

rwessels
05/05/2011, 08:04 PM
I have a 10' x 2' x 2' acrylic tank with 2 Tunze 6100's and 2 Waveboxes. One of each on each side of the tank. Although the performance of the Tunze units are great, I am looking to reduce the clutter in the tank and go with Vortechs.

Now I would like to put the units on the BACK side of the tank to hide them even more and keep the sides visually unobstructed.

I am looking for which Vortechs to buy, how many, and placement. To add a bit of complexity, I am planning an update to my tank in roughly 18 months. I am looking at a 12' x 4' x 2.5'. Ideally I would be able to create a front to back wave when I do that. I would like to be able to move the units to the new tank, so if I have to buy bigger units upfront, I am fine with that.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Randy

rwessels
05/05/2011, 08:13 PM
I just realized that I neglected to mention that I have 2 closed loops for circulation (Iwaki WMD30RLT) as well as a RIO 2500 hidden in the center overflow. Not sure if that makes a difference as the Vortechs would be the primary source of circulation as 2 closed loops is not near enough to cover a 10 foot tank. Also if it matters, I was considering adding a couple of holes to the bottom and using Oceans Motions devices to make the closed loops a bit more effective.

rwessels
05/05/2011, 08:19 PM
Double Post

EcoTech Marine
05/06/2011, 10:38 AM
If you're goal is just to reduce clutter and primary circulation is from closed loops, I'd go with two MP40w's, one on each side.

For total flow, I'd put one MP60 on each side and two MP40's on the back wall.

rwessels
05/06/2011, 03:42 PM
Thank you!