PDA

View Full Version : Montipora Growth Question.....

pwderhog
05/06/2011, 12:36 AM
Awhile ago, I purchase a sunset and a superman montipora which came on a square and circular shaped frag plug. Both have done very well in my tank, but as they encrust the frag plugs and work their way onto the rock, I'm beginning to see a problem. In a few months time, it'll look like my monti's swallowed a perfect square and a circle.

Maybe it's too late for me to change the way they're encrusting, but I was curious if anyone had pictures and/or suggestions on what they did with species that encrust so as to preserve a natural growth look. Do people take them off of the frag plugs and glue them directly onto the rock? How do you do this if they come partially encrusted on the plugs already?

Thanks much!

SAZAMA
05/06/2011, 01:05 AM
break the plug off... and it will grow back normal.and then you can resale the plug

pwderhog
05/06/2011, 01:12 AM
So you're saying to break the frag plug off with some of it still on there?

mike810
05/06/2011, 01:38 AM
that's exactly what he is saying. Remove the plugs leaving w/e monti that has made it to the rocks behind. Over time they will grow more and you can sell the frags still on the plugs

soggyfollicles
05/06/2011, 02:03 AM
If you have access to a bansaw you can even slices the top of the frag off like the icing on a cake and plop it right down on a large rock to encrust on. Then chop the rest of the cylinder into 4 pie slices.