PDA

View Full Version : Turbos falling.

A. Grandis
05/06/2011, 11:09 AM
Please help us:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014712

disc1
05/06/2011, 12:06 PM
It sounds like you are getting good stuff on the other thread. What are you wanting to hear?

briankmarsh1980
05/06/2011, 12:42 PM
turbos are dumb lol they are clumsy and fall thats common, and you have to flip them back over or they will just lay there and die, I personally don't have them anymore cause they nock stuff over and they eventually starve to death

A. Grandis
05/06/2011, 05:25 PM
It sounds like you are getting good stuff on the other thread. What are you wanting to hear?

I still want to hear more because we didn't get to find out why.
If you read all the talk carefully you will understand.

The purpose of my posting here is just to find more people interested in the subject.
I'm sure there will be more people with the same problem and other ideas.

Thanks,

Grandis.

A. Grandis
05/06/2011, 05:29 PM
turbos are dumb lol they are clumsy and fall thats common, and you have to flip them back over or they will just lay there and die, I personally don't have them anymore cause they nock stuff over and they eventually starve to death

Yes, we've heard that before. Hard to believe they die for starvation sometimes and other times they can live for years reproducing and healthy without having evidence of micro algae growth in those systems, visually...

Thanks for the point anyway.

You are all welcome to discuss!

Grandis.

cakemanPA
05/06/2011, 06:11 PM
They fall because they are big, heavy, and clumsy. I have some other large snails and they do the same.

cody6766
05/06/2011, 07:23 PM
They fall because they are big, heavy, and clumsy. I have some other large snails and they do the same.
yes.

I have 2 of them in my 40 breeder and they fall quite often. I keep a small piece of PVC in my stand that I call my reachin' pole. I just dip it in and bump the snails over when I see them. As for starvation, I've had them in there for over a year and a half, maybe more, and no deaths. I have a few small hair algae patches, but nothing substantial. I think the turbos ignore them anyway.

just look for them when you walk by and admire your tank. It's not that burdensome.

josh27
05/06/2011, 07:25 PM
I'm not positive but I've heard that turbos will fall over in lower salinity.

SushiGirl
05/06/2011, 07:58 PM
The only time ours have ever fallen over is when the magnesium was too high.

mwilliams62
05/06/2011, 08:57 PM
I had four or five of them and they have done a very nice job of cleaning my back and side tank walls but I have lost three of them from falling.. how they fall I don't know because I was at work or it happened at night time so I never was able to put them back the way they are suppose to be... i will be getting some more the back wall is needing more cleaning..

OregonReefer
05/06/2011, 10:10 PM
Mine only fall when the iodine is low

A. Grandis
05/07/2011, 12:40 AM
Hey guys,
Nice coments on the iodine and Mg! Thanks.

They fall sometimes when the light comes on also.
I'm talking about the event when they fall on their backs to death.
When that happens they all die in a week or less.

Grandis.

blue736
05/07/2011, 08:23 AM
mine were mexican turbos... had a total of 5. they all eventually died out in the first 2 years. 78-79F constant temps, 1.026 SG etc. didn't die due to a lack of algae to eat. got a new turbo about 6 months ago, so far he is happily munching away as I type...

I believe, as was mentioned in the other thread, that they all died due to the warmer temps than they are able to endure for a long period of time. nothing else could I find out why my bulldozers were dying one by one.

just a long shot. have you tested for copper in your DT? probably not an issue, but I would check to make sure somehow copper wasn't introduced. that would be the only other thought to why, other than some disease/parasite.

A. Grandis
05/07/2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks blue 736.
Nope, no copper, as I've posted in the other thread.

Grandis.