PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing Bacterial Problem

The Velvet Sea
05/06/2011, 11:58 AM
I've been battling what I figure is a massive ongoing bacterial issue for several months now. I've never experienced anything like this. Quick background, tank was set up in November. 75 gallon w/ 20 gallon sump. Berlin style with SRO-1000 skimmer and a minimal aquascape using BRS Pukani dry rock. Startup went as expected, with an initial ammonia spike due to dead matter in the pukani. Everything cleared up in a few days and I started stocking the tank a couple of weeks later.

A couple of months later, since probably some time in January, the never ending bacterial bloom began. I have had less than crystal clear water. Some days it is down right foggy. Like a cloudy bacterial bloom. The tank also generates a ton of bacterial slime. So much that mesh filter socks clog up in a day. I can't run carbon or GFO in my reactors because the sponges clog up so quick and limit the flow so much that they are not effective. The bacteria slime grows on the rocks on the tank and on every surface in the sump.

Considering that I have a minimal amount of rock in the aquarium, I thought that maybe there might not be sufficient surface area for bacteria growth. I've been interested in advancements in carbon dosing and biopellets, so I thought that I'd give them a shot. My thinking was that maybe the pellet reactor would help with the bacteria issue by giving bacteria a proper home in the reactor, but after nearly 2 months of having the pellets running, I've seen no improvement in the slime.

Let me be clear that the problem existed for months before I added the reactor and I have no indication that the reactor is causing any part of the problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping so far either. I have gotten the littlest bit of brown cyano growth since I added the reactor though. Not much at all. Just spots here and there around the base of some rocks. I first noticed it 2-3 weeks ago and while it remains, it has not gotten worse. There is hardly any other algae growth other than that. The littlest bit of diatoms or brown microalgae grows on the overflow box and spots on rocks. Normal levels imo, not a nuisance problem in the least. My light bulbs are 7 months old, but I don't think this has anything to do with lighting because I get lots of slime growth in the dark sump.

I have 7 fish. 2 clarkii clowns, flame hawk, diamond goby, sixline wrasse, 2 pj cardinals. I feed frozen food krill, mysis, brine shrimp, bloodworms sparingly once per day. I thaw it in RO water and admittedly most of the time I do not rinse it properly.

I have a high end RO/DI system that gives me 0TDS water which I use for top offs and water changes. I change 5 gallons once a week religiously using IO. I buffer the IO with Kent Tech to raise the Calc and Mag. I dose the tank with a minimal amount of Kent Tech for Alk and Calc daily.

Parameters:
35ppt salinity
78-79 F daily swing
8.5 dKH (hanna checker)
400 ppm Calc (salifert)
1400 ppm Mag (salifert)
0.07-0.04 ppm phosphate (hach colormeter)
nitrate is generally undetectable with API kit, sometimes it looks like it might be one shade up the color chart but it is hard to tell, I want a better nitrate kit.
Ammonia and nitrite are undetectable (API).
I honestly don't test the pH and just rely on keeping Alk in check.

Livestock observations: Fish are 100% happy, healthy, eating. SPS are growing. 2 clams, derasa and crocea are healthy, good mantle extension, no pigmentation loss, obvious new growth added to the shells. Some of my LPS seem great (meat coral, cynaria, open brain, war coral) but my chalice and acans are suffering. I have not added any livestock in months.

I'm at a loss as to this bacteria growth and what is fueling it. My skimmer is cranking along nicely and pulls out a good bit of funky nog. I've never experienced an ongoing bacterial issue like this before. Any help would be appreciated.

Anemone
05/06/2011, 02:51 PM
Like you, I'd be concerned that there isn't enough surface area for bacterial growth. If you want to maintain your minimalist aquascaping, I'd try adding rock to the sump.

Also, what do you have for substrate? You could add an inch or so of coarse substrate to provide a bacterial home.

Finally, you can try one of the "red out" or "slime away" type products. They can sometimes knock down and stop a slime bacteria cycle that nothing else seems to affect.

Kevin

The Velvet Sea
05/06/2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks very much for your input, Kevin. I'm using caribsea special grade seaflor substrate. About 2.5-3" deep, some areas a little bit deeper, as it gets moved around by the diamond goby. Rock in the sump is a good idea, I don't have a lot of extra room, but I'm sure I can get some in there. I'll start with that, and hopefully it helps. I'll start researching those additives also. Thanks again.

Rockys_Pride
05/06/2011, 04:59 PM
Perhaps cut back on feeding?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The Velvet Sea
05/06/2011, 05:35 PM
My fish are certainly well nourished. I don't overfeed (as in there aren't any uneaten leftovers) but a cutback probably wouldn't hurt. Worthy suggestion. Thanks.

HanoverFist
05/06/2011, 08:21 PM
Just throwing this out there....your skimmer is cranking along great- but the tank is still full of stuff that needs to be skimmed. It seems to me like you need a larger skimmer here.

Looking up your skimmer its rated at 125 gallons. Rule of thumb is one rated for twice your capacity. You have 95g of water to clean so you "should" have a skimmer rated at 190 gallons. That's a skimmer with half-again as much skimming power.

This could explain things??

Hopefully someone with more in-depth knowledge of skimmers, etc will chime in. But. to me, that really seems to add up nicely to your exact problem. Might want to look into stepping up to a skimmer rated for 200 gallons.

ANGRY JOHN
05/06/2011, 08:46 PM
another thing to try might be to skimm as wet as possible for a while. Crank up the production level and maybe even try the skimmer water change method for a while and see if that helps. That was one of the options for skimmers i was thinking of using and it is supposed to rock...

The Velvet Sea
05/06/2011, 09:07 PM
The skimmer is very well reviewed and recommended. I guess it is worth considering that it might be undersized but I sure hope not. I don't think my fish bioload is anything excessive and the skimmer really should be able to handle it. I'm listening to all of the ideas, and I appreciate all of them, but I'm at a serious loss here. Not much seems to add up to me.

If I had bioload problems associated with an undersized skimmer, lack of water changes, too much feeding, and/or overstocking (good ideas that have been thrown out there), logic and experience tell me that I should expect different problems like nuisance algae and excessive parameter levels but I'm not getting any of that. No nuisance algae at all, except for the tiniest patches of cyano here and there that cropped up due to the biopellets I believe. The cyano is not taking hold nor spreading so I'm not considering it a problem, just a common side affect of carbon dosing.

Wet skimming is a good idea. I'll go a bit wetter for sure. I've tried water change skimming before and it was a bit of a headache but I'll consider it.

I'm going to start with a few non-drastic steps. Reduced feedings with well rinsed food. Increase in water changes. Frequent powerhead blasting of the rocks to disturb the slime and make sure detritus isn't a contributing factor. Additional liverock. Wet skimming.

A vast majority of the inhabitants are thriving so I'm not in panic mode. If the situation doesn't improve after a long patient attempt with the above measures, I may think about taking the biopellets offline and using previously mentioned chemical treatment options. Thanks again to all.

hollister
05/06/2011, 09:23 PM
Amount u feed along with amount of fish u have play a large role. As with amount of LR and SB and water flow. Water flow very important.

Also , is your tank by any natural sunlight?