PDA

View Full Version : Asterina Star fish

108reefer
05/06/2011, 04:43 PM
Ok, need some help here, I have some little asterina starfish eating my green slimer!!! I have a mystery wrasse in there that likes shrimp - what can I do!!!

Jedidad
05/06/2011, 09:02 PM
i,ve seen pics of linkia stars eating asternias but i don't know how well they would take care of the problem. i would recommend pulling them out as you can catch them since you can't keep a harlequin shrimp with the mystery wrasse. good luck. i bought a harlequin for mine and it is working great.

Pylos
05/06/2011, 09:26 PM
That is a conundrum. Linkia's imho will not deal with the problem adequately, mine has only eaten them opportunistically. Is your mystery large? Will it go after a harly if it is a very big shrimp? As a rule harlequin's are pretty reclusive, and usually will tuck themselves away. Mine did when it came to defending itself from my extra large and extra vicious six line.

Good luck!

108reefer
05/07/2011, 07:33 AM
yeah, he is about 2 1/2 to 3" - and, My fourline ate the first shrimp, then the mystery ate him! I tried a cleaner shrimp again - just to see if the mystery would take it - lasted about 2 days... He's out of there, as soon as I find a buyer!

aleonn
05/07/2011, 01:27 PM
The asterina starfish multiply pretty quickly, so I'd get them out now while their populations are relatively small. I manually took them out, and used a syringe (you can also use a needle or similar pointy object) to impale and remove them from tougher spots.

ludiNano
05/07/2011, 03:10 PM
Good luck my last tank had them bad. It was a 30g and I let it go for a while being told some varieties were ok. When I decided to start removing them it was 30-50 a day for 2 weeks. It was ridiculous each day I thought I had got most of them. It was easier to manual remove them with a BB tank.

Fish4Me2
05/07/2011, 03:16 PM
I agree with others that you should remove them when you see them. I've siphoned out more than 300 from my 60g in the last four days. I wish I had worked harder at removing them earlier, rather than thinking, 'how bad could it get?'

B-Willz
05/07/2011, 07:03 PM
I syphon mine as well. If you want to syphon for long periods, I run a hose to a filter sock in the sump ti catch the stars. I atach a small peice of ridged tube about 2" long to the syphon hose so I can pick them off the rock and suck them up. I have been able to syphon for hours without worring about buckets.

Edward Ducharme
05/07/2011, 07:11 PM
I recently noticed an explosion in my asterina population, I started moving them into my sump until my new fuge is ready. I plan on adding a harlequin shrimp to my new fuge and using the asterina to feed it in between chocolate star leg recoveries