PDA

View Full Version : if money wasnt an issue, what is the one fish you would get?

geaux xman
05/08/2011, 12:14 AM
conspic angelfish. i dont know how many times i've watch the same youtube videos of the conspic angelfish over and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-t8ZY0T1A8

Digiman09
05/08/2011, 12:31 AM
If i hav the cash i will fly to Japan and get this fish:

Conspic x meredithi
Price: 850000 yen = 10kUSD

http://www.sangodo.jp/category/1209090.html

Recty
05/08/2011, 01:26 AM
I'd get a male masked angelfish, I really like the way they look.

DJPB
05/08/2011, 02:26 AM
A true Hawaiian flame angel. Although the fish wouldnt be that expensive (around $100), replacing all my LPS on a regular basis would.

BANDIT ANGEL
05/08/2011, 04:53 AM
Large X'mas island emperor angel or Centropyge joculator.

GoingPostal
05/08/2011, 08:20 AM
Probably that kiri triggerfish or an interruptus angel or a candy basslet. I can't pick just one, there's a lot of expensive fish I wouldn't mind adding.

SDguy
05/08/2011, 08:41 AM
Pair of mitratus butterflies.

jk1138
05/08/2011, 09:07 AM
I have trouble with the land of "What if" but if I money was not an obstacle I would buy a very large system, or have one made 1000+. The I would stock accordingly. Maybe with some of the more expensive tangs. (Black tang, yellow tail blue tang, etc.)

scchase
05/08/2011, 09:50 AM
I would get a Apolemichthys kingi ie Tige Angelfish I just love the stripes on the back.

Matt_Wandell
05/08/2011, 10:53 AM
Centropyge boylei

If I could have unlimited money and also sway the will of governments in my favor, it would be Chaetodontoplus ballinae.

Kahuna Tuna
05/08/2011, 10:58 AM
If money wasn't the issue it would be an eupalette shark or two, the fish wouldn't be the expensive part that would be the marine pond system I would house them in.

For the tank I have now (180) I would have to go with another Meredithi angel.

lvpd186
05/08/2011, 11:03 AM
I'd love to have one of the Pepermint Angels, but there are so many different fish out there it would be hard to settle on one.

NatureNerd
05/08/2011, 12:51 PM
If you are only talking about the cost of the fish, then I guess money isn't an issue for me. It is not that I am rich but the limitations of a 75g tank, my responsibility to the 5 fish I already have, and compatability issues with these fish and my corals really limit what I can get. I would love a few of the really beautiful angels and butterfies but they just would not work in my tank even if I had infinite money.

ccampbell57
05/08/2011, 02:52 PM
Centropyge boylei

If I could have unlimited money and also sway the will of governments in my favor, it would be Chaetodontoplus ballinae.

BINGO Matt!!!! I would have to say this is the pinnacle or sure

humaguy
05/08/2011, 02:55 PM
Peppermint baby....all the way....

PiXieCath
05/08/2011, 04:17 PM
In regards of my actual tank size, a paracentropyge boylei and a hawaiian flame wrasse mated pair for me!:-)

TMF89
05/08/2011, 04:25 PM
If we're talking about just fish, then there are waaaaaay too many choices! But if we're talking any amount of $ to set up, then I know exactly what I'd do. Fiberglass, silicone, just seal the house watertight, buy a couple scuba suits, and sit on my couch and watch Jaws with my new Black-Tipped roommates!

roktsintst
05/08/2011, 04:30 PM
I would really love the bellina, wrought and debelius! And you really couldn't pass upthe peppermint angel either!

xxtriggermanxx
05/08/2011, 04:38 PM
Money is no issue...... Manta ray tank ! Done :)

aday2remmbr
05/08/2011, 04:42 PM
conspicillatus angelfish

aday2remmbr
05/08/2011, 04:43 PM
blue striped angel

ryanrid
05/08/2011, 04:57 PM
clarion angel.

thelizardkin
05/08/2011, 05:39 PM
I would build a huge pond like 100k gallons and make it a reef with parrot fish angles sharks rays eels parrot fish triggers and all the coral i can find but if it was fish only I would get that kiri trigger in divers den and the crosshatch pair at the lfs

ENTMogul
05/08/2011, 06:08 PM
If it was actually possible, Chaetodontoplus ballinae, but since that is not happening legally...I'll have to then say, Genicanthus personatus

skibum9884
05/08/2011, 07:12 PM
If it was actually possible, Chaetodontoplus ballinae, but since that is not happening legally...I'll have to then say, Genicanthus personatus

geeez, personatus? you're really settling there compared the ballinae :)

I agree, C. ballinae has to be it for me.

rc4kinu
05/08/2011, 07:18 PM
I would get a Respendent Angelfish (Centropygy resplendens)

Matt_Wandell
05/08/2011, 07:48 PM
BINGO Matt!!!! I would have to say this is the pinnacle or sure

Hey Chris, I came THIIIIIIIIS close to seeing Ballina Angels in the wild earlier this year.

If you are a big fan of this fish like I am I'm sure you've heard Copps describe how it has only been seen alive at rec scuba depths out at Ball's Pyramid, a small islet near Lord Howe Island. It is found at LHI, but only if you go very very deep. At BP you can see it at 70 feet or so. In January I was on LHI for a week and did plenty of diving and snorkeling. This one tiny rock in the middle of the ocean is the only place on the planet you can see this fish alive, and I was only about 10 miles away from it...exciting stuff.

I had a dive voucher all booked and reserved to go to BP, but the ocean did not cooperate with us. There were a couple guys I spoke with on the island who had been there for 6 weeks and still had not gotten an opportunity to go to BP because of weather. Conditions have to be just right to allow a trip. There are only 2 dive boats on the island, and both are tiny, hold about 8-10 divers max, so any waves and wind make the journey out there impossible.

Anyway, I really wanted to come back with a story that would make Copps jealous, but no such luck. This time. ;)

Here is Ball's Pyramid, and that's Lord Howe Island in the background.
http://vibik.com/pics/Balls-Pyramid/Balls-Pyramid-3.jpg

SDguy
05/08/2011, 08:19 PM
LOL, not much different than trying to see King Kong on his island, it sounds like :D

Hey Chris, I came THIIIIIIIIS close to seeing Ballina Angels in the wild earlier this year.

If you are a big fan of this fish like I am I'm sure you've heard Copps describe how it has only been seen alive at rec scuba depths out at Ball's Pyramid, a small islet near Lord Howe Island. It is found at LHI, but only if you go very very deep. At BP you can see it at 70 feet or so. In January I was on LHI for a week and did plenty of diving and snorkeling. This one tiny rock in the middle of the ocean is the only place on the planet you can see this fish alive, and I was only about 10 miles away from it...exciting stuff.

I had a dive voucher all booked and reserved to go to BP, but the ocean did not cooperate with us. There were a couple guys I spoke with on the island who had been there for 6 weeks and still had not gotten an opportunity to go to BP because of weather. Conditions have to be just right to allow a trip. There are only 2 dive boats on the island, and both are tiny, hold about 8-10 divers max, so any waves and wind make the journey out there impossible.

Anyway, I really wanted to come back with a story that would make Copps jealous, but no such luck. This time. ;)

huskerreef
05/08/2011, 08:29 PM
Conniella Apterygia (mutant wrasse) found only in the Rowley Shoals in a protected area so I am guessing it would take a governmental bribe to send a diver in to get one.

SDguy
05/08/2011, 08:41 PM
Well, if we are talking non-available species, then I'd say Centropyge nahackyi and Amphiprion omanensis would be high on my list :)

Matt_Wandell
05/08/2011, 08:42 PM
Conniella Apterygia (mutant wrasse) found only in the Rowley Shoals in a protected area so I am guessing it would take a governmental bribe to send a diver in to get one.

Ah, you just had a peek at my list of future vacation destinations, didn't you. :D You already have the prettier version of them with the Earle's. ;)

Matt_Wandell
05/08/2011, 08:53 PM
Well, if we are talking non-available species, then I'd say Centropyge nahackyi and Amphiprion omanensis would be high on my list :)

How about Genicanthus takeuchii? ;)

SDguy
05/08/2011, 08:54 PM
Bah, don't want to spend the money on the chiller. :D

Matt_Wandell
05/08/2011, 08:59 PM

Hey Jim, your comment had me doing some googling because I could have sworn this area was open to rec diving.

http://www.naturebase.net/component/option,com_hotproperty/task,view/id,161/Itemid,755/

It appears that diving is open in the Rowley Shoals, and even some deep sea fishing, but no fish collection. So you can at least see them in the wild, but yeah, no chance of getting one legally in an aquarium.

lebreef
05/09/2011, 12:02 AM
A. kingi and P. boylei would be it, those money can buy at one point or another.... but C. ballinae, would be the ultimate dream. I have only managed to see 2 photos of it and it is the same ones over and over again in all books and articles.

Matt_Wandell
05/09/2011, 12:24 AM
A. kingi and P. boylei would be it, those money can buy at one point or another.... but C. ballinae, would be the ultimate dream. I have only managed to see 2 photos of it and it is the same ones over and over again in all books and articles.

You can see a great photo of one here on Frank Baensch's site:
http://www.bluereefphoto.org

Go to Pictures By Location>Lord Howe Island 2009

One of the pictures that requires purchase before viewing is a pair of Ballinas at Ball's Pyramid. Pretty sure it is the only such picture in existence.

johnc99
05/09/2011, 12:27 AM
I love dwarf angels so Centropyge interruptus for me (and the equipment I currently have). If I ever see one of these for sale locally then the FW fish get evicted and the 75G gets a quick make over. :)

sTefaniA
05/09/2011, 01:10 AM
Femininus wrasse, clarion angel, conspicculatus angel and peppermint dwarf angel. And a nice big group of ventralis anthias.

SDguy
05/09/2011, 08:17 AM

One of the pictures that requires purchase before viewing is a pair of Ballinas at Ball's Pyramid. Pretty sure it is the only such picture in existence.

Thanks for that link, Matt. Some amazing photos!

Chasmodes
05/09/2011, 01:38 PM
Another one where the system to safely house a certain fish would be the expensive part: I would say an adult queen angelfish as a centerpiece in a very large system and build a carribean biotope around it. And, if money could purchase carribean live corals legally, well then, there ya go...

Tankmates? Several dusky jawfish, Centropyge argi, blue angelfish, french angelfish, rock beauty, swissguard basslet, several Atlantic blue tangs, spotted hawkfish, sharpnose puffer, etc...maybe a longnose butterfly or four...and of course, as many blennies as I could fit.

snorvich
05/09/2011, 01:44 PM
For me, unquestionably a genicanthus personatus bonded pair

JamesJR
05/09/2011, 06:23 PM
Money aside? A full grown napoleon wrasse. I've never seen one full grown in a home aquarium before.

D5HP
05/09/2011, 07:57 PM
I'd buy an underwater home off the coast of Fiji that had a sweet glass elevator and an entire fleet of sea doos and scuba gear.

huskerreef
05/09/2011, 08:04 PM
Ah, you just had a peek at my list of future vacation destinations, didn't you. :D You already have the prettier version of them with the Earle's. ;)

Im sure nobody will check the pockets of your wetsuit and I can keep a secret :lol2:

AuroraDrvr
05/09/2011, 09:06 PM
No name needed...

http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/kashiwajima-2008-june-niger-angel-small-wm2.jpg

Matt_Wandell
05/09/2011, 09:37 PM
Money aside? A full grown napoleon wrasse. I've never seen one full grown in a home aquarium before.

That's because they're like 6-7 feet long! :D

Angel*Fish
05/09/2011, 10:39 PM
Resplendent angel here, too -- if I could get a pair legally :)

small alien
05/10/2011, 08:53 AM
If we're talking about just fish, then there are waaaaaay too many choices! But if we're talking any amount of $ to set up, then I know exactly what I'd do. Fiberglass, silicone, just seal the house watertight, buy a couple scuba suits, and sit on my couch and watch Jaws with my new Black-Tipped roommates!

Outstanding answer! :lolspin:

n8ureman
05/10/2011, 09:12 AM
If money wasn't an issue I would get all of my "dream fish"

Angelfish:
Peppermint angel
hotumatua dwarf angel
debelius dwarf angel
Queen angel (from St. Paul's rocks)

Butterflies:
Group of Smith's (a.k.a Easter island) Butterflies
group of Wrought Iron Butterflies

Wrasse:
Parachenilus nursalim ( nursalim's flasher)
Cirrhilabrus lunatus ( Cresent tail fairy)

and last but not least...
Dr. Seuss fish (Belonoperca pylei)
Then I would quit my job and spend all day watching my fish!! LOL!!:frog:

Conspic49
05/10/2011, 12:45 PM
If i hav the cash i will fly to Japan and get this fish:

Conspic x meredithi
Price: 850000 yen = 10kUSD

http://www.sangodo.jp/category/1209090.html

I think it is a meridithi and conspicillatus hybrid

Amazing fish....

Conspic49
05/10/2011, 12:47 PM
I think it is a meridithi and conspicillatus hybrid

Amazing fish....

Sorry I don't see you already wrote it is a hybrid...:hammer:

Conspic49
05/10/2011, 12:49 PM
i'd get a male masked angelfish, i really like the way they look.

+1

JamesJR
05/10/2011, 01:10 PM
That's because they're like 6-7 feet long! :D

I know. Of course that would mean I would need a huge house and aquarium for it! One could only dream.

blface
05/10/2011, 01:23 PM
A juvi conspic like the one pictured below. I have never seen one except for this pic.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/thiellei/small_conspic_123.jpg

NyReefNoob
05/10/2011, 05:28 PM
hmmm seeing i am a huge wrasse guy
Cirrhilabrus sanguineus and a couple others
but would love these two pygmy angels
Centropyge debelius
Centropyge interruptus

Jordani
05/10/2011, 05:38 PM
A juvi conspic like the one pictured below. I have never seen one except for this pic.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/thiellei/small_conspic_123.jpg

Here's a little one at B-box it starts at 0:08. http://youtu.be/qtdMJ1o8xJc

loki32687
05/10/2011, 07:09 PM
Personally, I'd love a Candy Basslet

matt randazzo
05/10/2011, 07:45 PM
Kiri trigger
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=119255

huskerreef
05/10/2011, 08:19 PM
hmmm seeing i am a huge wrasse guy
Cirrhilabrus sanguineus and a couple others
but would love these two pygmy angels
Centropyge debelius
Centropyge interruptus

Cirrhilabrus sanguineus is the fish I have been trying for years to get, have several people looking....some day I hope. Definetly top of my Holy Grail list.

lebreef
05/10/2011, 11:20 PM

Thx for the link Matt! The first photo I have already seen before but never the second one. There is, I believe, a photo of a pair in Kiyoshi Endoh's book if I am not mistaken.

Pylos
05/11/2011, 12:17 AM
Getting a macropharyngodon choati to stay alive would make me pretty happy.

copps
05/11/2011, 09:37 AM

Matt, how was the trip? You must have seen Genicanthus semicinctus no? I'm jealous of your trip already... C. ballinae has still not been seen at Lord Howe unless you've heard otherwise... and a juvenile has still never been seen! I'd be down for a small semicinctus or ballinae... or a ballinae/ conspicillatus hybrid which I know exists...

And for those looking for a personatus, one is available... small... and it is staying stateside!

geaux xman
05/11/2011, 10:27 AM
http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/personatus1.jpg

http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/personatus2-420x279.jpg

http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/personatus31-420x279.jpg

Bax
05/11/2011, 10:28 AM
A Vlamingi tang!

Because if I had a tank big enough to house one, I'd also have all the above listed fish in it as well! :fish1:

Seriously a Blue Line pair would make my reefing existance complete!

blface
05/11/2011, 11:48 AM
I would love to see a video of just that juvi conspic.

reefsic
05/11/2011, 02:58 PM
It would be a toss up between the 4 listed below...

Blackspot Pygmy Angelfish
Centropyge Nigriocella

Masked Angelfish
Genicanthus Personatus

Spotted Angelfish
Genicanthus Takeuchi

Peppermint Angelfish
Paracentropyge Boylei

aquaph8
05/11/2011, 03:05 PM
It would be a toss up between the 4 listed below...

Blackspot Pygmy Angelfish
Centropyge Nigriocella

Masked Angelfish
Genicanthus Personatus

Spotted Angelfish
Genicanthus Takeuchi

Peppermint Angelfish
Paracentropyge Boylei

Me too. Great list.

reefsic
05/11/2011, 03:11 PM
Me too. Great list.

:D :thumbsup: :D

Jordani
05/11/2011, 09:04 PM
And for those looking for a personatus, one is available... small... and it is staying stateside!

Tell us more:bounce3:

I would want a harem of Genicanthus personatus!!!

matt randazzo
05/11/2011, 09:30 PM
A white, black, yellow tangs... just cuz they're all different colors and they are all same spicies...

ENTMogul
05/11/2011, 09:49 PM

+1.. Where is this Personatus now???

Winwood
05/12/2011, 12:45 AM
Whale shark

Charley Diesing
05/12/2011, 01:05 AM
Whale shark

If money wasn't an issue, why stop at a whale shark?

How about a actual whale? :P

JuliusJames
05/12/2011, 04:48 AM
One blue green chromis.. maybe two

n0rk
05/12/2011, 05:02 AM
ballinae/ conspicillatus hybrid which I know exists...

Oooooh, does this mean you know something we don't, John? ;) you mean this has been swimming around near my front door and I've been oblivious all this time?!

Digiman09
05/12/2011, 06:26 AM
+1.. Where is this Personatus now???

House of Fins.

copps
05/12/2011, 10:34 AM
I would love to see a video of just that juvi conspic.

Not a video, but a shot of my juvie conspic a while back... now not so juvie...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/conspic.jpg

This is just the third personatus caught on the island of Oahu in 15 years... and most notably, it was caught relatively shallow when the diver/ collector Matt Ross was targeting Potter's at standard SCUBA depths. The fish was a teenager of about three inches... if you remember the first specimen caught was in 2007 when I was driving the boat for Rufus Kimura and crew on Oahu... that almost full blown male was caught deep on a rebreather, as was the second one caught a few years later (the tiny juvie), also caught by Rufus. Here's a couple of shots of that fish... the old thread I made does not show the photos as my photo hosting site went down...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/18personatus.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/12me.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/11personatus.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/10personatus.jpg

I tracked it down in Kyoto Japan nearly two years later and the fish was alive and well, but reverted a bit more back to female... Both of the first two went to Japan, but I wanted this one to stay in the US, so I called up Rob Bray of House of Fins, one of the few heavy hitters that could drop the cash on this fish (it's a five figure fish)... he did and it's now at House of Fins. The fish was presold. This specimen is reminiscent of the first specimens of the species caught in 1973 in shallow water on Oahu... it is most likely though just a fluke... but an amazing find! Congrats Matt!

Oooooh, does this mean you know something we don't, John? ;) you mean this has been swimming around near my front door and I've been oblivious all this time?!

They've never found a ballinae/ conspicillatus hybrid, but they must exist... conspics hybridize with meredithi and ballinae appears to be more closely related... we can all dream...

Copps

copps
05/12/2011, 10:42 AM
http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/personatus1.jpg

http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/personatus2-420x279.jpg

http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/personatus31-420x279.jpg

This pair was collected on the island of Kauai... what a site!

Here's a shot of my first personatus... also collected shallow on Oahu... I collected this from the shelf of Karen Brittain's house! This was one of the four captive raised personatus... she's a bit dry now though... I'm going to put the test tube into some sort of case and tell the story of these amazing fish and Karen's amazing story... :)

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/Genibabe1.jpg

Copps

blface
05/12/2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the pic of the juvi Conspic John.

Yurivd
05/12/2011, 12:54 PM
Here is a photo of the personatus but already sold
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/Yurivd/a3d8d50b.jpg
I do not know the owner

deangelr
05/12/2011, 01:20 PM
Pair of:

Amphiprion Omanensis

and

Amphiprion Fuscocaudatus

64Ivy
05/12/2011, 02:11 PM
Here is the personatus currently (and temporarily) residing at the House of Fins in Greenwich, CT.

http://www.moyesreef.com/uploads/Hof-Genecanthus-Personatus.jpg

deangelr
05/12/2011, 02:31 PM
Are you the buyer?

copps
05/12/2011, 02:50 PM
Here is a photo of the personatus but already sold
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/Yurivd/a3d8d50b.jpg
I do not know the owner

The buyer of this fish has an insane collection of fish... unfortunately that no one will ever see... but this little girl will have some ridiculous tankmates... and (almost needless to say) the buyer bought this fish the way we buy the morning paper...

L.R.fisherman
05/12/2011, 02:58 PM
I would like to get some bandit angels.

ENTMogul
05/12/2011, 04:28 PM
ugh. I want one (or two) ;)

natebedwell06
05/12/2011, 04:50 PM
I would definately say a black tang, We have one at inland aquatics (where I work) and I am in love with that fish, next in line which isnt that expensive which I will be getting one eventually is a regal angel

Jordani
05/12/2011, 04:54 PM
The buyer of this fish has an insane collection of fish... unfortunately that no one will ever see... but this little girl will have some ridiculous tankmates... and (almost needless to say) the buyer bought this fish the way we buy the morning paper...

Do you know where the pesonatus was caught in Oahu and how deep the pair from kauai was at, do you know what other amazing fish he has and do you have any pics of them?

64Ivy
05/12/2011, 04:58 PM
Are you the buyer?

Nah. I hear they do better in harems so I'm waiting for a male and 5-7 additional females to come in. :)

n0rk
05/12/2011, 07:14 PM
They've never found a ballinae/ conspicillatus hybrid, but they must exist... conspics hybridize with meredithi and ballinae appears to be more closely related... we can all dream...

Knowing some of what's out there just off the coast and how often we see sexually mature Conspics right on the coast near Ballina, I'd say you may well be correct in this assumption. We've got plenty of oddities in the waters right nearby...

Now, wouldn't that be the talk of the town? Ballinae are crazy enough as it stands, let alone a hybrid one... :D

huskerreef
05/12/2011, 08:47 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4460&pictureid=30766

Yurivd
05/13/2011, 12:33 AM
Knowing some of what's out there just off the coast and how often we see sexually mature Conspics right on the coast near Ballina, I'd say you may well be correct in this assumption. We've got plenty of oddities in the waters right nearby...

Now, wouldn't that be the talk of the town? Ballinae are crazy enough as it stands, let alone a hybrid one... :D

From what I understand it is illegal only to collect in new south wales ballina angels
So if one is collected from Queensland it is legal ( I know a guy that can dive 120m with a decompression chamber ):spin1:

Yurivd
05/13/2011, 12:53 AM
http://www.google.co.za/m/url?client=safari&ei=fdLMTcDJJsLikAWt6JaxAg&hl=en&oe=UTF-8&q=http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/76640/Ballina-angelfish-Primefact-163---final.pdf&ved=0CBsQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNH0298PpX6rEatwo2sKeYwFb-aDRw

nonstopfishies
05/13/2011, 01:04 AM
I would go with a gem tang and a personatus angel. Just for starters!

Winwood
05/13/2011, 01:15 AM
If money wasn't an issue, why stop at a whale shark?

How about a actual whale? :P

Not a fish, I might settle for a pelagic sunfish If collection was an issue.

n0rk
05/13/2011, 05:51 AM
From what I understand it is illegal only to collect in new south wales ballina angels
So if one is collected from Queensland it is legal ( I know a guy that can dive 120m with a decompression chamber ):spin1:

Collection in NSW is legal in certain cases, but it does require licencing and has strict guidelines insofar as I'm aware. At least, that's what buddies from Sydney have broken it down as. In Queensland we're fine to collect things within certain size ranges and certain "green zones" up to a bag limit for a given species... there's plenty of people picking their own Conspics just off the coast. I'm not sure how the NSW protection status affects us federally though, unfortunately.

That having been said, Ball's Pyramid is a fair whack off the coast anyway... :spin2:

humaguy
05/13/2011, 07:29 AM
Copps- thanks for background of the new personatus...go to House of Fins all the time...nice to see them get it...I lived on Kauai for a full year...and only saw 2 Personatus- they were off Poipu...
It go for around 10k right? Be so nice in my new 700...

chingchai
05/13/2011, 09:22 AM
Great thread.

auem
05/13/2011, 09:39 AM
Collection in NSW is legal in certain cases, but it does require licencing and has strict guidelines insofar as I'm aware. At least, that's what buddies from Sydney have broken it down as. In Queensland we're fine to collect things within certain size ranges and certain "green zones" up to a bag limit for a given species... there's plenty of people picking their own Conspics just off the coast. I'm not sure how the NSW protection status affects us federally though, unfortunately.

That having been said, Ball's Pyramid is a fair whack off the coast anyway... :spin2:

but bellina falls under protected list..isn't it..?

Yurivd
05/13/2011, 10:08 AM

Have a look at the link in my earlier post thy are only illegal to collect in new south wales

(but all the places thy have been seen is in the north of new south wales so there are a chance that there will be sum deep in Queensland then it will be leagal but at deep water )

copps
05/13/2011, 11:23 AM
Copps- thanks for background of the new personatus...go to House of Fins all the time...nice to see them get it...I lived on Kauai for a full year...and only saw 2 Personatus- they were off Poipu...
It go for around 10k right? Be so nice in my new 700...

Very interesting! I stayed in Poipu at the Hyatt for a little while with my wife a couple of years ago... dove Kauai and did a trip to Niihau... was chasing Pseudanthias hawaiiensis deep with the divemaster yelling at me... At what depth did you see the personatus?

This one went for much more than 10k...

Unfortunately the two people that collected personatus on Kauai last year both got bent bad on their rebreathers... one died and one is paralyzed...

C. ballinae is protected as a species in NSW, and the only place it's been seen in any numbers is at Ball's Pyramid, which is part of the World Heritage Site of Lord Howe, so in essence the species has double protection...

One other overlooked Lord Howe endemic is Genicanthus semicinctus (the documentation from the Kermadec Islands was one specimen)... this fish is awesome! Here are a few shots of the male and female taken by friend Frank Baensch...

http://www.bluereefphoto.org/p532585213/h26410cab#h26410cab

http://www.bluereefphoto.org/p532585213/h35753f91#h35753f91

http://www.bluereefphoto.org/p532585213/h20058222#h20058222

This species was collected for a public aquarium...

Have a look at the link in my earlier post thy are only illegal to collect in new south wales

(but all the places thy have been seen is in the north of new south wales so there are a chance that there will be sum deep in Queensland then it will be leagal but at deep water )

That's wishful thinking Yuri... :spin3: you realize they still have never been "seen" on the mainland... that is based entirely on two specimens trawled decades ago... the only place the species has been seen and photographed is at that 600 foot long rock known as Ball's Pyramid, about 400 miles off of the mainland! I've heard reports of others... even a place where they are relatively shallow off the mainland, but it's all just reports for now... amazing to think a juvenile of the species has never been documented!!!!

auem
05/13/2011, 11:50 AM
@copp,
rob lower died...but who got paralyzed...?
rufus kimura post here...he seems to be ok...

copps
05/13/2011, 01:00 PM
Rufus has never collected on Kauai... he's on the West side of Oahu... The guy who got paralyzed (I think he's in a walker now... either way he's done diving for good) was based on Kauai for the past few years... he collected the pair of personatus posted above, and a few others collected on Kauai... the one Rob Lower caught died shortly after... Mike was diving his rebreather alone and got bit by an eel deep and was bleeding. He surfaced quickly worried about sharks and drove his boat to shore running it right up onto the beach... at that point he was already paralyzed and needed to be carried off of the boat apparently... this story is so common in our industry but seldom told...

To understand a little more on getting bent crack a beer tonight and read this story... many of you know Rich Pyle... he's been a good friend and someone I respect more than anyone... a fish nerd's fish nerd... a world renowned ichthyologist that did his PhD thesis on the classification of angelfish... and also a pioneer in deep diving that nearly killed himself diving deep in 1986 at age 19... leaving him paralyzed for almost a year and to this day with tingliness in his legs... Leave no doubt... Rich is the man...

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/cmd.html

Copps

albano
05/13/2011, 01:25 PM
Is this the famous 'Mauritus' wrasse from Dom in NJ???

Jordani
05/13/2011, 03:20 PM
Copps,

Do you know where and how deep the personatus pair was caught in Kauai?

huskerreef
05/13/2011, 10:47 PM
Is this the famous 'Mauritus' wrasse from Dom in NJ???

Yes it is :)

JonTarutis
05/14/2011, 06:59 AM

Yup Copps that pretty much sums it up! It's nice that she will be able to share some space with another Hawaii endemic (Bodianus sanguineus) that came from the same supplier quite some time ago. I thought of it as a little reunion! 8 long years of asking and asking!!! I had gotten wind of a Kingii which unfortunately I passed on as it was a monster, this little girl fortunately was perfect size!

64Ivy: Glad you were able to get some awesome photos of her!

nynikki
05/14/2011, 08:11 AM
I don't think the cost of the fish is the concern for me, or even the system, but more like the house you need to fit such a system. As a teenager I used to dream of having an 8ft tall octagon shaped aquarium with some sort of jellyfish living in it. I suppose if money were no object, that's the custom build I would want to research and attempt. Of course a well qualified person to maintain it would also be in order =)

** now back to reality** I doubt I will ever have the kind of throw away money this would obviously require. :)

nynikki
05/14/2011, 09:02 AM
If you are only talking about the cost of the fish, then I guess money isn't an issue for me. It is not that I am rich but the limitations of a 75g tank, my responsibility to the 5 fish I already have, and compatability issues with these fish and my corals really limit what I can get. I would love a few of the really beautiful angels and butterfies but they just would not work in my tank even if I had infinite money.

I hear that! You are so right on here! I'm in a 90g and at first thought I could get all sorts of fish, at least a blue hippo, right... wrong! Oh well, next tank, right? =) LOL

auem
05/14/2011, 10:44 AM
Yup Copps that pretty much sums it up! It's nice that she will be able to share some space with another Hawaii endemic (Bodianus sanguineus) that came from the same supplier quite some time ago. I thought of it as a little reunion! 8 long years of asking and asking!!! I had gotten wind of a Kingii which unfortunately I passed on as it was a monster, this little girl fortunately was perfect size!

64Ivy: Glad you were able to get some awesome photos of her!

so,you bought that personatus?

JonTarutis
05/14/2011, 05:55 PM
I didn't buy it, I maintain the aquarium where it is going as well as coordinated the sale.
Jon

tbettis
05/14/2011, 07:42 PM
black tang for me

cwoods8
05/14/2011, 07:57 PM
I didn't buy it, I maintain the aquarium where it is going as well as coordinated the sale.
Jon

Tell Donald Trump hi for me will ya?:D

ENTMogul
05/14/2011, 09:25 PM
One other overlooked Lord Howe endemic is Genicanthus semicinctus (the documentation from the Kermadec Islands was one specimen)... this fish is awesome! Here are a few shots of the male and female taken by friend Frank Baensch...

http://www.bluereefphoto.org/p532585213/h26410cab#h26410cab

http://www.bluereefphoto.org/p532585213/h35753f91#h35753f91

http://www.bluereefphoto.org/p532585213/h20058222#h20058222

This species was collected for a public aquarium...

John, Is there anyone who has Genicanthus semicinctus in their collection or are they only in a public aquarium? Very cool looking fish!

asid61
05/14/2011, 09:40 PM
I would get a giant pacific octopus!
But my mom wouldn't allow it (we are strict vegitarians).
Within my limitations, a mandarin.

elegance coral
05/15/2011, 08:45 AM
Without a doubt, it would be a Queen angel from St. Peter and St. Paul rocks. By far the most incredible and unique angel fish on the planet!!!! To bad I can't have one.:uhoh2:

studentdriver
05/15/2011, 12:02 PM
Even if money was no object, I still think the Powder Blue Tang is one of the most beautiful fish.

soggyfollicles
05/15/2011, 08:05 PM
I'd have to say a school of Achilles'.

aquaph8
05/15/2011, 08:09 PM

You cheater, you cant actually get one. LOL Im just kidding, really glad you found one.

jd474
05/15/2011, 08:46 PM
Not a fish, but I'd love to keep these at home, regardless

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/saxmansports/sea_dragon.jpg

small alien
05/15/2011, 09:18 PM
That is, technically, a fish.

small alien
05/15/2011, 09:19 PM
And I'm sure it would be near the top of many people's lists.

rachenbrazil
05/16/2011, 05:55 AM
I saw this fish on web... so expensive...

http://www.aquatouch.com/video%20Bladefin%20Basslet.html

But really nice !

copps
05/17/2011, 02:33 PM
Copps,

Do you know where and how deep the personatus pair was caught in Kauai?

Publicly discussing recently collected personatus locations and depths is a touchy subject... Knowing the locations of many of the Oahu specimens it seems almost completely random in all honesty... in Kauai it seems a bit more predictable... I can say that the holotype Genicanthus personatus (the specimen used to describe the species) was collected in relatively shallow water in 1973... at an exotic sounding place called Magic Island... the funny part is that Magic Island is a manmade island right off Waikiki that was supposed to house a hotel... but the company went bankrupt and instead it became the home of the holotype of this wonderful species... :) here is a shot of Magic Island from my hotel room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village... :D this proves they could be caught anywhere...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/room_view.jpg

There were a few personatus caught shallow in 1973 on Oahu, resulting in Jack Randall describing the species in 1975, having never seen a male! Interestingly not far from Magic Island I had this photo taken of the four of us in the apartment of the man in the yellow shirt... to his right is Jack Randall, then me, then Rich Pyle (who described the most recent Genicanthus (takeuchii))... the man in yellow shirt caught one of these personatus shallow (70 feet) in 1973! He is famous for other things and one of the other fish he discovered will be for sale in the aquarium trade within days (this is BIG news!)... anyone care to guess the man in the yellow shirt?

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/allfour.jpg

John, Is there anyone who has Genicanthus semicinctus in their collection or are they only in a public aquarium? Very cool looking fish!

The only ones I am aware of that were ever collected were by the Dallas World Aquarium... the owner of that aquarium is nuts like alot of us but with money, and about 15 years ago he arranged a collection at Lord Howe and got permits... they to this day have a Lord Howe 1500 gallon exhibit (I have photos somewhere from when I visited)... they displayed semicinctus there until a couple of years ago when the last female died... there were still conspics when I visited last year from that collection, along with some new conspics from New Caledonia... I got to go into the owner's office where he had his own aviary, along with a HUGE freshwater display with two super rare confiscated arrowanas and a small reef displaying Zebrasoma gemmatum and Centropyge interrupta... and a huge cylindrical tank of sea dragons... just amazing really... what a great collection that aquarium has...

Without a doubt, it would be a Queen angel from St. Peter and St. Paul rocks. By far the most incredible and unique angel fish on the planet!!!! To bad I can't have one.:uhoh2:

Ah yes... I'd shoot for something like this guy...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/koi_queen.jpg

... or how about even rarer... the koi queen from OUTSIDE of St. Paul's Rocks... now this is one cool rare fish!!!!

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/koi_queen_non_SPR.jpg

Copps

elegance coral
05/17/2011, 02:55 PM
... or how about even rarer... the koi queen from OUTSIDE of St. Paul's Rocks... now this is one cool rare fish!!!!

Copps

That is one incredible fish!!!!!! It would be so cool to have any of those fish, knowing that no one on this planet has one just like it.

Jordani
05/17/2011, 04:31 PM
Is it Jack Randall and an amazing Cirrhilabrus from Palau :fun4:

rbredding
05/17/2011, 04:35 PM
if money wasnt an issue, what is the one fish you would get?

it doesn't matter, because I would never spend more than $150 on a fish, I don't care if I had dumptrucks of $100 bills..

velvetelvis
05/17/2011, 05:08 PM
If money was no object, I would build a custom tank, and commission RCT to produce some G. personatus for me. :p

elegance coral
05/17/2011, 07:17 PM
Copps

Hang on a second. Were do you find a fish like that "OUTSIDE" of St. Paul's Rocks???????

auem
05/17/2011, 10:27 PM
Publicly discussing recently collected personatus locations and depths is a touchy subject... Knowing the locations of many of the Oahu specimens it seems almost completely random in all honesty... in Kauai it seems a bit more predictable... I can say that the holotype Genicanthus personatus (the specimen used to describe the species) was collected in relatively shallow water in 1973... at an exotic sounding place called Magic Island... the funny part is that Magic Island is a manmade island right off Waikiki that was supposed to house a hotel... but the company went bankrupt and instead it became the home of the holotype of this wonderful species... :) here is a shot of Magic Island from my hotel room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village... :D this proves they could be caught anywhere...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/room_view.jpg

There were a few personatus caught shallow in 1973 on Oahu, resulting in Jack Randall describing the species in 1975, having never seen a male! Interestingly not far from Magic Island I had this photo taken of the four of us in the apartment of the man in the yellow shirt... to his right is Jack Randall, then me, then Rich Pyle (who described the most recent Genicanthus (takeuchii))... the man in yellow shirt caught one of these personatus shallow (70 feet) in 1973! He is famous for other things and one of the other fish he discovered will be for sale in the aquarium trade within days (this is BIG news!)... anyone care to guess the man in the yellow shirt?

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/allfour.jpg

The only ones I am aware of that were ever collected were by the Dallas World Aquarium... the owner of that aquarium is nuts like alot of us but with money, and about 15 years ago he arranged a collection at Lord Howe and got permits... they to this day have a Lord Howe 1500 gallon exhibit (I have photos somewhere from when I visited)... they displayed semicinctus there until a couple of years ago when the last female died... there were still conspics when I visited last year from that collection, along with some new conspics from New Caledonia... I got to go into the owner's office where he had his own aviary, along with a HUGE freshwater display with two super rare confiscated arrowanas and a small reef displaying Zebrasoma gemmatum and Centropyge interrupta... and a huge cylindrical tank of sea dragons... just amazing really... what a great collection that aquarium has...

Ah yes... I'd shoot for something like this guy...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/koi_queen.jpg

Copps

Chip Boyle...
so peppermint angel in market!!!!:dance::blown::debi:

Vili_Shark
05/18/2011, 12:53 AM
I bet those H.ciliaris are losing their color or most of it in aquariums.

Saw only one, many years ago who was for sale for US$10,000.00

For me :
Holacanthus limbaughi
and
Centropyge respledens

Was so close to the first one....
Was even closer to the second one exactly 4 years ago.aaaahhhhhh!!!!

small alien
05/18/2011, 07:41 AM
Or, likely, any other plantet.

copps
05/18/2011, 08:07 AM
Is it Jack Randall and an amazing Cirrhilabrus from Palau :fun4:

Jack Randall is to the right of the man in the yellow shirt... not him... and this fish is not from Palau... although it is found there too... :)

Hang on a second. Were do you find a fish like that "OUTSIDE" of St. Paul's Rocks???????

At this other tiny isolated place... larger than St. Paul's but still tiny... and nowhere near Brazil... :)

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/isolationisle.jpg

I bet those H.ciliaris are losing their color or most of it in aquariums.

Saw only one, many years ago who was for sale for US$10,000.00

For me :
Holacanthus limbaughi
and
Centropyge respledens

Was so close to the first one....
Was even closer to the second one exactly 4 years ago.aaaahhhhhh!!!!

What color morph was the St. Paul's Rocks specimen Vili?

Agreed on the limbaughi... the St. Paul's queen of the Pacific... and as long as we're dreaming, how about a limbaughi/ clarionensis hybrid that I know exists also... and on the resplendens you probably won't have to wait another four years...

auem
05/18/2011, 08:53 AM
so your friend frank is gonna breed resplendent again..

and you didn't said whether i was right or wrong about chip boyle...
i guess if it is indeed boyle then you have stirred a hornet nest too early..:uzi:

my guess of boyle is due to this photo...the man in your photo seem to be older version of this guy..

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/TravelPIX/CooksPIX/ChipBoyleCooksSAC2.jpg

copps
05/18/2011, 08:58 AM
Don't count your chickens... :)

Oh... and that's not Chip Boyle... :)

auem
05/18/2011, 08:59 AM
well..then i missed it..:headwalls:...he he..

copps
05/18/2011, 09:08 AM
Convergent evolution I guess... something about living in the tropics...

copps
05/18/2011, 09:12 AM
Guess the cat is out of the bag... it's these guys... their first record from Majuro!!!

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/john.jpg

auem
05/18/2011, 09:41 AM
earlei wrasse...
and i was hoping for a angel...:hammer:

did you bought them? you are not a wrasse man..

lebreef
05/18/2011, 10:04 AM
That's John Earle, no?? he holds the namesake for the fish if I'm not mistaken.

elegance coral
05/18/2011, 10:47 AM
At this other tiny isolated place... larger than St. Paul's but still tiny... and nowhere near Brazil... :)

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/isolationisle.jpg

I've been to the Dry Tortugas. I saw some beautiful Queens there, but they were just your normal beautiful Queens. Nothing abnormal about the ones I saw. Maybe I need to go back and look a little closer.:hmm2:

copps
05/18/2011, 10:50 AM
earlei wrasse...
and i was hoping for a angel...:hammer:

did you bought them? you are not a wrasse man..

That's John Earle, no?? he holds the namesake for the fish if I'm not mistaken.

Bingo and bingo... John's an amazing person... incredibly intelligent and has contributed a ton to ichthyology and deep diving despite not being professionally trained (he's a retired Hawaiian Airlines pilot that graduated from Princeton). He collected the holotype C. earlei... and is thus the namesake... auem I am not getting these specimens although I love the species... it's no angel, but the photo above of the four of us was taken in John Earle's apartment in '07 ( a sweet spread overlooking Waikiki)... I happened to be on Oahu when a program aired that they starred in called Expedition Pacific Abyss... Rich Pyle, John Earle, and Brian Greene were the rebreather divers in the documentary... what a pleasure it was watching it for the first time with those guys... what a soup of knowledge in that room! In the documentary there were many amazing shots including showing the collection and capture of the one and only Centropyge abei (the most recently discovered angelfish species) on display in the world... still alive and kicking and available to be seen at the Waikiki Aquarium for just $7... :) Here's a shot I took of him...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/abei.jpg

Copps

auem
05/18/2011, 11:00 AM
i have seen that program copps...it was spell bounding....only drawback being that robotic suit brian greene tried...
that's a spectacular photo of abei...:fish1:

lebreef
05/18/2011, 12:13 PM
and here is the video of one that just showed up at b-box (probably same collector)

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s9LHRySIogw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

copps
05/18/2011, 12:52 PM
Yup... same collector... the collector that didn't even know what he found... what a pot of gold to stumble into...

Jordani
05/18/2011, 01:45 PM
What a peppermint angelfish!! Where's it going?

copps
05/18/2011, 01:55 PM
What a peppermint angelfish!! Where's it going?

Huh?

Jordani
05/18/2011, 01:57 PM
Is it going to Japan or USA?

copps
05/18/2011, 02:10 PM
Who said anything about a peppermint angel?

Jordani
05/18/2011, 02:13 PM
Oops thoought a post by another member was yours.

ENTMogul
05/18/2011, 03:43 PM
Oops thoought a post by another member was yours.

A peppermint angel would definitely be awesome though! what was the last one sold for? 30K? maybe I'm making stuff up :crazy1:

Cahooligan
05/18/2011, 08:02 PM
One blue green chromis.. maybe two

a little bit greedy...dont you think?:hammer:

ENTMogul
05/19/2011, 12:56 PM
Does anyone on here have a conspic trio? That would be very cool.

Conspic49
10/04/2011, 03:13 PM
cirrhilabrus jordani

Conspic49
10/04/2011, 03:13 PM
cirrhilabrus scottorum

Conspic49
10/04/2011, 03:14 PM
clarionensis

SkullV
10/04/2011, 03:49 PM
Blacktip Reef Shark and the 12' diameter 6' tall round tank to house it!

Allmost
10/04/2011, 03:58 PM
conspict angel ....

I just cant convince myself to pay that much lol I hope someone buys it for me :P haha

MiamiZach
10/04/2011, 04:02 PM
sold white clown!

Reefing Newbie
10/04/2011, 04:22 PM
The wrought iron butterflyfish on DD for $2500 or a sohal tang with my dream 1200 gallon tank. The achilles tang wouln't be a bad idea either! Hmmm sooo hard to choose because I like the bright neon blue color on both the queen and scribbled angelfish which in my book are expensive.

A_Z
10/04/2011, 04:37 PM
Masked Angel Pair :fish2:

swencel
10/04/2011, 07:37 PM
Call me crazy but I love Potters Angels and Splendid Dotybacks. Cheap and gorgeous.

Daniel Reef
10/04/2011, 07:40 PM
If price really was not an issue, including price of a tank, then I would want a giant manta ray.

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/LRG/26/2676/41CUD00Z/art-print/jeff-rotman-diver-swims-with-giant-manta-ray-mexico.jpg

reefjunkie42
10/04/2011, 08:12 PM
miturian flasher wrasse

albano
10/04/2011, 08:27 PM
miturian flasher wrasse
link... Please

reefjunkie42
10/04/2011, 08:34 PM
http://************.com/2011/01/31/paracheilinus-piscilineatus/

reef8uilders in place of****

aquaph8
10/04/2011, 08:39 PM
link wont open for me.

fishyfish22
10/04/2011, 08:47 PM
really, all i would get is a maroon clownfish pair. i love those things.

albano
10/04/2011, 08:49 PM
miturian flasher wrasse
you meant Mauritius Flasher
a vendor (Diamonds of the Reef) from our local club (Manhattan Reefs) recently brought in a pair!

reefjunkie42
10/04/2011, 11:06 PM
Yea my spelling is horrible. sorry about that. I have emailed them a few times but cant seem to get ahold of anybody.

LeLutinBanni
10/05/2011, 01:34 PM
http://www.lightning-maroon-clownfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/PNG-Lightning-Maroon-Clownfish-9-1024x901.jpg

Lighting maroon clown !

LeLutinBanni
10/05/2011, 02:19 PM
doublepost

mroccoralman
10/05/2011, 08:15 PM
Earlie Fairy Wasse all the way!!!!

Roblox84
10/05/2011, 08:17 PM
I would def. have to get me a baby whale

TheFishTeen
10/06/2011, 12:24 AM
Bandit Angel.

Someday I will own one...someday.

reeferstace
10/06/2011, 10:09 AM
Chaetodon daedalma.

Now both DD and NYA have one in stock. :) If I only had the $

igot2gats
03/30/2012, 11:26 AM
A Clown Tang in a reef, or a Blue Spot Ray.

rogergolf66
10/03/2012, 08:45 AM
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/rogergolf66/image_zpsb60d0a79.jpg

I checked with my LFS to get me one of these he said if he could get it that the price would be between 5k and 12k but awesome fish
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/rogergolf66/image_zps0005fb08.jpg

copps
10/03/2012, 09:10 AM
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/rogergolf66/image_zpsb60d0a79.jpg

I checked with my LFS to get me one of these he said if he could get it that the price would be between 5k and 12k but awesome fish
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/rogergolf66/image_zps0005fb08.jpg

In 2007 I happened to be piloting the boat in Oahu that caught the first personatus in at least ten years to be offered in the trade that was caught in the main Hawaiian Islands... the fish wholesaled for 5K. You could read the story linked below, although the photos are no longer available... in the last five years there have been single digit numbers of these available to the world... this is a very rare fish in the Main Hawaiian Islands... even at depth. You could smack 50K on the table at your LFS and you'd not be able to get one of these most likely for a while... it takes connections, patience, and dinero! The 5K to 12K price your LFS gave you would be his cost, if he could even get it. These fish typically first get offered to the guys that pay the collector's bills buying the commons!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234494

Here was the fish...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/18personatus.jpg

I visited this fish in 2009 at its home in Kyoto Japan and it was thriving...

Copps

mikegonzo
11/29/2012, 10:49 PM
not accurate...>25 pieces were collected off NWHI in april '99.

Rapide
11/29/2012, 11:08 PM
If I was single and living alone, then I would (could) get a bigger tank! I mean a BIG tank, and fill it up with all these fish... But I'm not, so...

I actually don't find these expensive species worth it. Some are, obviously, but most of them are not. Just because something is rare and top $$$ doesn't make it any cooler in my eyes...
Money is not an issue, but space and time is.

I would love to keep some Moorish Idols, like 5, but first I'd have to build a 1000gal tank for them! Then 10-15 Yellow tangs, a pair of French angels, Achilles and Atlantic Blue tangs and some Moray eel. And that would be just one tank ;)
The Red Sea tank would be a whole different tank...

Rapide
11/30/2012, 12:15 AM
A Clown Tang in a reef, or a Blue Spot Ray.

I just got mine few weeks ago :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQwpovaSrtM

Empty Bottles
11/30/2012, 01:05 AM
mike gonzo do you have a build thread for the 1200? I'd really like to see it.

Shoryureppa
11/30/2012, 07:00 PM
A supermale rhomboid and 2 dozen females just like in the wild.

humaguy
11/30/2012, 08:06 PM
still a peppermint...

nanoreefer1000
11/30/2012, 08:17 PM
Chaetodontoplus ballinae lol

humaguy
11/30/2012, 08:26 PM
Chaetodontoplus ballinae lol

I often think about them and Kingi too....but imo, that red of the peppermint is just extraordinary and a color impossible to find in another fish...with the white lines and the "candy cane" look...so much going on with this little fish...

but ballinae is a special little girl...
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m537/humaguy/Chaetodontoplus-ballinae.jpg

nanoreefer1000
11/30/2012, 08:37 PM
that's a fake one

humaguy
11/30/2012, 09:11 PM
...a mold....
The photos created a wave of excitement among fish enthusiast. If I recall correctly just prior to this an adult C. ballinae was reportedly shipped to Japan, but passed away en-route. What most non-Japanese aquarists don’t know is Mr. Endoh often has a special article in his magazine called Miracle Aquarium where extremely rare fish are displayed via realistic plastic molds… and then placed in the an aquarium to photograph! This plastic “model” of a fish fooled quite a few people.

copps
12/02/2012, 09:40 AM
not accurate...>25 pieces were collected off NWHI in april '99.

What's not accurate? I said "to be offered in the trade that was caught in the main Hawaiian Islands..."

JohnniG
12/02/2012, 11:17 AM
A banana eel ;)

JohnniG
12/02/2012, 11:18 AM
I just got mine few weeks ago :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQwpovaSrtM

You got A LOT of fish ;)

Rapide
12/02/2012, 12:45 PM
Actually, I don't... They just love the camera ;)
I feed from that end of the tank, so they think it's dinnertime. The other end of the tank is completely barren ;)

elrey
12/03/2012, 12:11 AM
i will have a tank with lot of white sharks, and another tank with a whale !

auem
12/03/2012, 02:03 AM
i will have a tank with lot of white sharks, and another tank with a whale !

better buy a island where sharks and whale visits...:debi:

Rapide
12/03/2012, 02:22 AM
And as far as I know, whales are still mammals ;)