PDA

View Full Version : Switching to lps dominant system

skyshrimp
05/08/2011, 07:15 PM
Ok im currnetly running a mixed reef system and wanna change over to a lps dominant system. My question is should I remove all other non lps corals for better lps growth to reduce chemical warfare. Also are ther any certain tank params I should be aiming for for bettdr lps care. Any tips advice and answers to my questions would help. all my current tank livesrock and equipment is in my signature.

RokleM
05/09/2011, 06:59 AM
Leathers and star polyps can do a decent amount of warfare themselves from what I've read. While keeping JUST LPS could help, I wouldn't stress it a ton of you're running some carbon. Purge the SPS and possibly the more potent softies if you're worried.

mnml
05/09/2011, 10:44 AM
I've found keeping my ALK at high 9s or 10 DKH tend to be better for my LPS. I use to run low 8s with vodka dosing when I mostly had SPS and my LPS didn't thrive as well.

rick12
05/09/2011, 05:47 PM
I've found keeping my ALK at high 9s or 10 DKH tend to be better for my LPS. I use to run low 8s with vodka dosing when I mostly had SPS and my LPS didn't thrive as well.

what about CA and MG as well for the LPS systems?

Bcollins111900
05/09/2011, 05:54 PM
I keep my Calcium around 450ppm and Mag around 1300ppm and I am a LPS heavy tank. I have a few decent size leathers as well and 5 clams. Few pieces of SPS but like mentioned, I run carbon and bio-pellets in seperate media reactors.

skyshrimp
05/09/2011, 06:14 PM
My current stats seem ok?

Salinity- 1.025
Calcium-520 ppm
Alk-10
Mg-1600
Nitrates 0ppm
25g water change every week, but I will start cutting down to 10g every week to save on salt and see if it makes a difference on my nitrates will stay at 0ppm. phosban reactor with granules gfo form brs. And chemi pure (2 bags) in canister filter. Do I need additional carbon if I already have enough chemi pure for my dt and sump? Run skimmmer part time 8 hours during the day only, hoping for better growth from lps. And I don't dose anything. seen ok for lps dominant system.

greech
05/09/2011, 06:33 PM
Numbers sound fine to me and I wouldn't add more carbon. IME having the tank to clean can be a problem for some LPS. Not saying you should allow nitrates to sit at 20+ppm just that a little bit of food in the water seems to have helped in my case. Good luck with the LPS!