PDA

View Full Version : Need help with xml

ISMANU
05/09/2011, 08:29 PM
So I have been going back and forth on what controller I want to get and besides the features for the tank my next biggest feature is whether or not I can monitor and control it with my Crestron Unit. I am a programmer for crestron and have a pretty good knowledge of hoe to do rs232 controls but I am unfamiliar with XML. I have a little knowledge with the tags and how to use the them to gather the information that I need. But I haven't been able to find any information on how to send commands to the Apex. I noticed some other people have created applications that monitor and control the unit. Any help anyone can offer me would be greatly appreciated:wavehand:

RussM
05/09/2011, 10:25 PM
The XML output is read-only. You can't send XML to the controller. Applications such as smartphone apps use standard HTML post commands, which can be figured out by studying the source of the controller's web pages

ISMANU
05/10/2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the reply Russ, I think this controller will do everything I want and I can figure the control integration out so I guess I'll just have to pick one up and figure the rest out. I see your a So.Cal local too, I'm in Calimesa, CA:bounce1:

I'm thinking I can just get the the sensor info from the apex and do all the control from the crestron then I really only have one system to configure:wildone:. BTW does anyone know what the control port is for on the apex I can't seem to find any info on it.

swearint
05/10/2011, 08:53 AM
BTW does anyone know what the control port is for on the apex I can't seem to find any info on it.

That is for support of legacy modules such as a DC8. The earlier models of the controller used the X10 protocol.

Todd

ISMANU
05/10/2011, 09:25 AM

jfrelin
11/04/2016, 12:25 AM
I have extended the XML to my crestron touch panels, and also used closed contacts to do some basic functions ie: button press on touch panel triggers APEX to go into Feed Mode, or set lights to make the corals pop for 5 minutes with heavy blues/etc. but it's all one-way.

This is nice though as the family can goto a "Tank" Sub-page and trigger some common events. I'd really like to be able to make my TP's flash a message when skimmer cup is full, mix tank is empty, etc etc...

Started playing with some http scraping but its clunky and had to run it through another server that did some python magic. :)

A light API would be a fantastic add to APEX, but sure it's not a widely asked for feature.