PDA

View Full Version : Problems!

coral_addict
05/10/2011, 04:05 PM
Ok, so here are my problems:
1) My 8 gallon nano's lights blew out three days ago, today makes four days my corals have been without light.

2) My clownfish has also been without light, and is currently freaking out.

3) I have a tank that I can transfer everything to, however, the tank is barely a month old and has up to this point had nothing but rock and sand in it.

4) The lighting is infinitely more powerful in the new tank, making acclimation more difficult. (PC's to LED's)

5) Finally, the aquascaping in the new tank is incomplete, so transfering the fish in isn't a great option at the moment.

My questions:

1) Can I transfer the coral in? I only have about 3 or 4.

2) Assuming I can, how do I go about acclimating them to the new tank's lighting?

3) What do I do about my clownfish?

Can anyone help me??

sjwitt
05/10/2011, 04:32 PM
Can you temporarily move the lighting over the nano? At least until you get replacement bulbs. Just rig up something so light isn't too close and lower the time the lights are on. Or, can you move the nano near a window that gets some direct light?

coral_addict
05/10/2011, 06:02 PM
Well it has some direct light (it's near a window) but there's absolutely no way for me to put the new tank's lighting near the old one. They're situated about 7 feet apart currently, but the way the hood of the new tank is placed, very little of its light reaches the other one. The new tank is a JBJ 28 gallon tank with LED lighting.

sjwitt
05/16/2011, 05:56 AM
What did you decide to do? I don't think the fish will suffer from lack of light, but the coral will over an 'extended' period. What types of coral do you have? Do you have a reefer friend or maybe your LFS could hold them for a while?

gooberz
05/16/2011, 06:41 AM
You could always ask your LFS or a friend to help you hold your stuff until the big tank cycles or you get the lighting for the nano. Good Luck..

Henry

schoch79
05/16/2011, 07:34 AM
Hey seriously. Get a desk lamp or something of the nature and shine it on it. Pretty much any compact florescent bulb will do. I'd bet you have one of those spiral cfl's somewhere you can use.

collie man
05/16/2011, 07:59 AM
i would just get a light like others have suggested. just go to lowes and buy a 65 watt grow bulb. best 15 bucks you'll spend to save your corals.

collie man
05/16/2011, 08:00 AM
what kind of corals do you have?

coral_addict
06/23/2011, 01:35 PM
Well I have all soft corals and a torch. The fish, torch, some of my green star polyps, and my colt are in the new tank, which is now fully cycled and set up, and I let my anthelia and xenia die off in the old tank. Once I moved everything that I really wanted to save, I stopped giving the small tank light and let everything die on its own. I also turned off the flow, although some of the remaining green star polyps are still alive.