PDA

View Full Version : Are sailfin blennies jumpers?

WayneL333
05/10/2011, 10:22 PM
I'd like to put her in my rimless, but will she go carpet surfing???

zachk
05/11/2011, 08:02 PM
IMO, anything with Blennie in its name is a very possible/liklely jumper.

NYCBOB
05/11/2011, 08:03 PM
i had one in the past in my open top reef. mine only ate acros, so be careful.

philter4
05/11/2011, 08:12 PM
i had one in the past in my open top reef. mine only ate acros, so be careful.
Depends on the species, the Hawaiian species (maybe all of the close relatives in the Western Pacific) only eat acropora corals, but the Atlantic and Eastern Pacific species of the genus Emblemaria and it's sister genera are invertabrate feeders and will not bother any of your corals. As far as jumping I have collected and kept several species from both sides of Mexico and South Florida and all of my tanks are open topped but not rimless and I had no problems with any of them.

WayneL333
05/11/2011, 09:42 PM
Depends on the species, the Hawaiian species (maybe all of the close relatives in the Western Pacific) only eat acropora corals, but the Atlantic and Eastern Pacific species of the genus Emblemaria and it's sister genera are invertabrate feeders and will not bother any of your corals. As far as jumping I have collected and kept several species from both sides of Mexico and South Florida and all of my tanks are open topped but not rimless and I had no problems with any of them.

Thanks for the info. Mine is a golden sailfin blenny collected from Fiji.

charleneatkins
05/12/2011, 02:37 PM
a cage is a cage, if something wants out it will find a way but that should not stop you getting what you want. I have a mated pr. of firefish and they hide on the bottom. They look like they are afraid of the top.