PDA

View Full Version : Ozone

Tracey2
05/11/2011, 12:36 PM
I am considering running this ozone

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/ozotech-poseidon-200-kit.html

do I really need the air dryer if I run it through my skimmer?

slief
05/11/2011, 02:51 PM
The airdryer really has nothing to do with how or what you inject the ozone into. Its more about removing moisture from the air prior to going into the generator. Moisture in the air will shorten the life of the generator and can also effect its efficiency. If your generator is in a humid enviornment, then you should use one. My generator is in a closet away from my tank and is not in a humid location so I opted not to use a dryer.

Tracey2
05/11/2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks slief, so much to learn. Can you give me your opinion on the generator I posted a link for on a 450g twv? I see on their site a larger dryer and a smaller generator, not sure what is appropriate for my tank?

slief
05/11/2011, 03:39 PM
I have the same one. This (http://www.bigbrandwater.com/poseidona.html) is where I got mine from. That generator should be perfect for your size tank. If your going to use the dryer and the controller, then the BRS package looks like a pretty good deal. I would suggest getting yourself a coralife luft air pump for feed the ozone generator.

Also, you need to make sure that your skimmers effluent is running through carbon and make sure that any vent holes in the collection cup lid are routed through carbon as well. If you dont, you will get a strong smell of ozone in the air around your equipment and anything that is not ozone safe in the vicinity will get damaged overtime.

I use lignite carbon to remove residual ozone from my effluent. I went with a Avast Ozone reactor instead of running it through my skimmer as it was much easier to filter through carbon using an ozone reactor than with my skimmer. Also, my skimmer has several holes in the lid and a self cleaning head which would have been a real challenge to get the air coming out of the skimmer cup adequetly filtered.

Here is a shot of my ozone reactor and my cabon reactor that removes the excess ozone from the effluent. I have about a gallon of lignite carbon that filters out the excess ozone from my effluent. This setup works great!
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/IMG_0344.jpg

Drew485
05/12/2011, 05:35 PM
How often do you change your carbon?

tkeracer619
05/12/2011, 05:38 PM
Please don't run ozone in your skimmer.

Get a reactor that it is designed to run in.

Sure a lot of skimmers say they are "ozone safe" but that doesn't mean they are good to run ozone in. It is not very effective nor is it as safe.

The generator you linked is a great brand.

slief
05/12/2011, 06:43 PM
How often do you change your carbon?

Not sure yet as I have not had the reactor up and running very long. Probably every 60 days or so if I had to guess.

My flow through the reactor is VERY slow. The drip plate sees a very fast drip and its fed from a manifold so I have no idea how much flow I have. I adjusted the flow so that the reactor was full of ozonated air instead of water. To much flow and the reactor starts to fill up with water. I will determine how often to change out the carbon based on when my sump starts to smell of ozone.

I have only been running this reactor setup for a few weeks. Its actually not on this week as I just changed my lighting system last week and had to remove the reactor to get to my pulley cables. I will be reinstalling it this weekend.

Tracey2
05/13/2011, 04:26 AM
I don't really understand, we are adding ozone but then removing it with carbon? How do we know its not just the carbon cleaning the water?

Tracey2
05/13/2011, 04:37 PM
I forgot to say thankyou for posting the pic Slief.

So, I won't run through the skimmer, but I would like to understand how the carbon works with the ozone. One store I talked to said ozone is just an expensive way cleaning water and carbon does they same, any opinions?

Drew485
05/14/2011, 10:34 AM
From what I have read, the ozone "bleaches the water" then any residual ozone must be removed from the water. People who have used ozone say they notice a difference in 2 to 3 days and their water has never been clearer. Less light can be used in the aquarium because the light travels farther in the clear water. I suppose that would save you some money put you would have to figure in the wattage of the ozone system/pump.

Tracey2
05/14/2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the explanation

AcroporAddict
05/14/2011, 04:21 PM
I have the same one. This (http://www.bigbrandwater.com/poseidona.html) is where I got mine from. That generator should be perfect for your size tank. If your going to use the dryer and the controller, then the BRS package looks like a pretty good deal. I would suggest getting yourself a coralife luft air pump for feed the ozone generator.

Also, you need to make sure that your skimmers effluent is running through carbon and make sure that any vent holes in the collection cup lid are routed through carbon as well. If you dont, you will get a strong smell of ozone in the air around your equipment and anything that is not ozone safe in the vicinity will get damaged overtime.

I use lignite carbon to remove residual ozone from my effluent. I went with a Avast Ozone reactor instead of running it through my skimmer as it was much easier to filter through carbon using an ozone reactor than with my skimmer. Also, my skimmer has several holes in the lid and a self cleaning head which would have been a real challenge to get the air coming out of the skimmer cup adequetly filtered.

Here is a shot of my ozone reactor and my cabon reactor that removes the excess ozone from the effluent. I have about a gallon of lignite carbon that filters out the excess ozone from my effluent. This setup works great!
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/IMG_0344.jpg

Did you have Avast add the pressure gauge to the reactor or did you do that yourself? They don't come that way stock.