PDA

View Full Version : Anemone? Worm? Need input please.

andythorntonjr
05/11/2011, 05:38 PM
So I was checking out my tank tonight and in an alcove of one of my larger rocks, I noticed a long pink (smooth) 'worm' hanging down, picking at/up a piece of algae. The only problem is I can't tell if this is an anemone of some sort, a worm or what. I managed to get a small bit of it with the prongs (it broke off the very end, pic attached). It is smooth (or VERY tiny hairs) and the end (which I got) looks like it has a 'hole' at the end. Like a mouth maybe? Someone have any ideas on this? It was sticking out of a hole in the rock itself. Only one of these btw, not multiples, at least that I can see so far.

Thoughts?

mscarpena
05/11/2011, 06:33 PM
Cant tell, need better pics.

andythorntonjr
05/11/2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah, hoping to see it again for better pics. It retreated after I grabbed the small portion of it I did. Been looking for similar stuff and the closest I can find is a bloodworm.. but this was a good 2 inches long of what was coming out of the live rock. Plus on this end I don't see the 'claws' I see in other pictures, so... dunno.

mscarpena
05/12/2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchworms.html
Check here.
Also search Oenone Fulgida worms. Just a hunch probably not, but the color is right.

andythorntonjr
05/12/2011, 07:18 PM
Well, after looking through almost every hitchhiker guide out there, including a look at those horrid oenone worms, I THINK the closest I've spotted to what I have is the peanut worm. Unfortunately, since I seem to have pulled the 'end' (head?) off one as pic'd above, will it survive? XD

mscarpena
05/13/2011, 05:11 PM
Well a peanut worm would be great and you would not have to worry about it. There is a chance it will survive, but if you ripped off the head it is doubtful. Glad its not Oenone worms. I did not think so, but the color was close so I took a stab at it.