PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Nano Wavebox

E.intheC
05/11/2011, 06:08 PM
I might be over thinking this, but how much flow should I "feel" coming out of the wavebox? It's very quiet and is hooked up correctly, but it feels like there's only a bit of flow coming out.. aprx a Koralia 1/nano.

If this is in fact too low, what should I do to correct the situation? Thanks!

E.intheC
05/11/2011, 07:40 PM
Ok.. so I figured out that you can change the voltage on the transformer from 12v to 24v. I unplugged and put it up to 24v. More flow, but now it's loud. :( almost sounds like an mp40 from a few feet in front of the tank. Still feels like the flow isn't enough..

notclear
05/11/2011, 08:51 PM
I read somewhere you better don't set it to 24 v (only initially for a new pump) or the pump will die easier. I have mine set to 15V and if I set it to 18v then I can hear the noise.

By setting the wave, you need to find the sweet spot by tuning it slowly and then wait for few minutes to see the wave level, then set it again until it gives you the highest wave.

E.intheC
05/11/2011, 09:28 PM
I actually moved it back to the middle setting (can't remember but I think it's 18v). Thanks for the warning though, I hadn't heard that.

I'm not really worried about the wave yet; that will come. Just trying to quiet the box down. It's currently the loudest part of my (admittedly very quiet) tank.

rvitko
05/12/2011, 08:29 AM
For the first 2 weeks it is advisable to run it 18V, this gives parts a chance to wear in with less noise, they are considerably more noisy for the first 2 weeks. Also, be sure you put the rubber bumpons on the magnets, having the hard magnet surface in direct contact with the glass transmits much more noise.

The flow if you just submerge the wavebox and disconnect the controller at 24V would be 1450gph, since you are pulsing it very rapidly to produce a wave it never reaches this full potential but the gph of the wave will generally be much higher though this requires a fair amount of math to calculate. You first have to figure out the waves volume by taking the tanks length and width and multiplying it by the waves height in inches divided by 2. You then divide that by 231 and you get the volume of the wave in gallons. You then have to multiply that by the number of wave cycles in a minute and then by 60 to get the gallons per hour.

E.intheC
05/12/2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the help Roger. Its actually not a brand new wavebox. I think the sound is coming from the magnet-glass interface, but it also could be the housing itself. The bumpers are installed on the magnets as well.

rvitko
05/12/2011, 09:15 AM
Can you describe the noise? Click or hum?

E.intheC
05/12/2011, 09:40 AM
There is a very slight click when the motor turns on. There's also a humming but it sounds like the pump may be rubbing against the walls of the wavebox.

rvitko
05/13/2011, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't think the prop would be rubbing, this will usually result in the pump stopping. You could check this by looking at the prop from the outlet and checking if it is contacting anything, it should be roughly centered in the outlet, it can be off by a little. A click would likely indicate it is older and doesn't have the new anti attenuation bushing- part 6055.740. Can you give me some history on this, did you buy it used, do you know about how old it is?

E.intheC
05/13/2011, 09:54 AM
I bought it used. They told me the wavebox was about 6 months old. Everything looks clean and well maintained. Tonight I'm going to try and further isolate the noise issue.