PDA

View Full Version : Calcium blocks; anyone use them?

J-P
05/11/2011, 06:12 PM
I have seen these reptile calcium blocks that are supposed to be good for their shells. I was wondering if they would be workable in a reef setting.

Zestay
05/11/2011, 06:33 PM
im guessing a calcium block would end up working like a salt cube.
it would shock the system with a calcium/ ph overdose. id avoid. but others will probably chime in with the same thoughts

J-P
05/11/2011, 06:38 PM
This is the product I was looking at:
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Reptiles_Medications-Supplements_Dr-Turtle-Slow-Release-Calcium-Block_10469121_102.html?tc=default

Zestay
05/11/2011, 06:44 PM
in a word.
no.
nothing is that simple in this hobby =)
the calcium / ph / alk . triangle is one of the hardest to maintain. id reccomend a two part dose. if you want to automate it get a controller and dosing pumps. placing that in your tank will cause uncontrollable results. which is the last thing you want.

KAW750SS
05/11/2011, 08:01 PM
I wouldnt use it. If someone put that in my tank I would probably strangle them.

Seahorse NJRC
05/11/2011, 08:03 PM
in a word.
no.
nothing is that simple in this hobby =)
the calcium / ph / alk . triangle is one of the hardest to maintain. id reccomend a two part dose. if you want to automate it get a controller and dosing pumps. placing that in your tank will cause uncontrollable results. which is the last thing you want.

+1. I just do not think the results would be good.

J-P
05/11/2011, 10:08 PM
thanks guys and gals. See.. it is always good to ask first :)

Mike31154
05/11/2011, 10:26 PM
Half an ounce for $1.49 is probably not the most cost effective way to dose calcium either. You could always buy one and dissolve it in some RO water to see what happens, but like I mentioned, it's a very small amount and as others have posted, there are better ways to dose calcium.

jeff@zina.com
05/12/2011, 06:34 AM
I have seen these reptile calcium blocks that are supposed to be good for their shells.
Use them for all the reptiles in your tank. :)

Sea water has enough calcium for most tanks, otherwise you dose calcium. Salt water livestock won't lick the blocks.

Jeff

plantastic
05/12/2011, 08:11 AM
There is another brand of Calcium blocks from Sea Labs. They are manufactured and marketed for saltwater aquariums. I have used them for over 10 years on multiple tanks...from 2 gallons up to 600 gallons. They don't add up to be the most cost effective way to dose calcium, but they are the simplest thing i've used. No issues with SPS, LPS, Softies, or Coraline algae. They also dose trace elements...so you have to factor the costs of dosing that component seperately with the calcium to get a real cost comparative to other methods.

Scott

J-P
05/12/2011, 09:26 PM
so far 5 nays and 1 yay...