PDA

View Full Version : I tempted ich fate and fate won....suggestions for qt filter

SPotter
05/12/2011, 07:27 AM
As the title states, after 9 months of tempting fate I discovered last night that my tank has ICH and I will be setting up a QT today. I am looking for suggestions on a good filter to use on a 20g tank. I know it was foolish to think it wouldnt happen to me.

snorvich
05/12/2011, 07:31 AM
Probably more answers will come in the proper forum. I will ask for it to be moved. In the mean time, try my blog on quarantine issues.

SPotter
05/12/2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks Steve. I wasnt sure which forum would be the best.

dc
05/12/2011, 08:01 AM
[moved]...

Sk8r
05/12/2011, 08:20 AM
A uv filter is reputed to help. But it's pricey, and not that effective, period. The cheapest, most efficient way to handle it is to go through the protocol of treatment outlined in the stickies in this forum.

SPotter
05/12/2011, 08:28 AM
I think the mods in the equipment forum misunderstood what I am asking. I wanted to see what kind of HOB filter everyone is using on their QT tanks. I am guessing that they all work about the same but just wanted to see if there was one that people liked better than another.

MrTuskfish
05/12/2011, 09:38 AM
I think the mods in the equipment forum misunderstood what I am asking. I wanted to see what kind of HOB filter everyone is using on their QT tanks. I am guessing that they all work about the same but just wanted to see if there was one that people liked better than another.

Here's a copy of how I cycle & handle bio-filtration in my QT. Its too late to use this method now, you'll have to handle ammonia with WCs.

"In regards to Qt cycling; I've done this for years. Get a HOB filter; I really like Aqua-Clear, they have a big sponge and last forever. Don't use the carbon or ceramic noodles that come with the filter. Also, have some extra sponges on hand, they're cheap. Keep a sponge in the flow somewhere in your DT. When you need a QT or HT, just use the sponge that has been in your main system in your QT filter---the QT will be instantly cycled. When done, toss the sponge and keep a new one ready in your main system.
BTW, Cupramine copper, used in a QT,will not destroy a bio-filter."

SPotter
05/12/2011, 09:46 AM
perfect...i will look for the aqua-clear at my lfs.

scuzy
05/12/2011, 10:27 AM
i'm using a aqua clear 70 on my 55 QT and it's been working like a champ so far.

Dr Colliebreath
05/12/2011, 10:34 AM
Instead of the HOB, I use a sponge filter with an air pump and a filter bag containing the ceramic cylindrical filter media (Fluval). I am going to stick an airstone in the filter bag to get more water movement over the filter media.