PDA

View Full Version : Is multiple driver dimming possible.

Bubbaboy
05/12/2011, 08:28 AM
Can I use 6 or these (http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-41/Mean-Well-ELN-dsh-60-dsh-48D-dimmable/Detail .3 white 3 blue) to be dimmed by ONE of these? http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-150/DIY-2-color-dimming/Detail

Thanks for help guys

rrr757
05/12/2011, 09:25 AM
I am not sure, but if no one responds email rapidled, he (Mike) is pretty fast to respond.

email:staff@rapidled.com

I haven't bought my kit yet, but he has been pretty informative.

Thanks,
Mickey

nanojg
05/12/2011, 09:36 AM
Yes, although I would not plug all those drivers into the same 20 amp circuit

ehren78
05/12/2011, 10:29 AM
says on they're site up to 10 drivers could be used

patmack
05/12/2011, 10:42 AM
Should be fine with 6 but anymore than that is where you can run into problems. just dont turn all of them on at the same time. They have a huge inrush current. IIRC it is 75 amps per driver. check the DIY LED write up at least read the last 10 pages.

Bubbaboy
05/12/2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys and is that 6 drivers per color knob? Or 3 driers per each turn knob?

nanojg
05/12/2011, 02:32 PM
The issue is with your power circuit, not the pots. 6 meanwells per circuit

Bubbaboy
05/12/2011, 05:49 PM
Hey guys, also is the inventronics capable of hooking up to this too? Or just mean well drvers? And is there anything like it that will hook up to the inventronics dimmer?

ReefPharmer
07/04/2011, 11:06 PM
along the same question, if you hook up 2 drivers to each pot... how do you properly hook up the drivers? basically have to splice the wires together and piggy it into the pot? (do you use any kind of fuse or just go blue to blue, then run a piggy to the pot where blue should be? or w/e the color is...

hllywd
07/05/2011, 09:23 AM
along the same question, if you hook up 2 drivers to each pot... how do you properly hook up the drivers? basically have to splice the wires together and piggy it into the pot? (do you use any kind of fuse or just go blue to blue, then run a piggy to the pot where blue should be? or w/e the color is...

What I would do (did) is strip the dimming leads from the driver, twist all of the same color together, and use an appropriate wire nut to attach to the dimming device lead, in my case a variable speed port on my Apex.

nanojg Yes, although I would not plug all those drivers into the same 20 amp circuit

I have 8 connected through one outlet on my Apex with no problems. The inrush, and harmonic issues were dispelled some time ago. I know people who are running many more than my 8 on a circuit with no trips, or other issues.

Bubbaboy Hey guys, also is the inventronics capable of hooking up to this too? Or just mean well drvers? And is there anything like it that will hook up to the inventronics dimmer?

This is a 0 - 10VDC dimming circuit. It should work with anything that has that requirement.