PDA

View Full Version : Question Harlequin

james-lee
05/12/2011, 11:39 AM
So I got this 1" harlequin a few days ago. I have yet to see him munch on any asterina (sp?) star fishes that are all over my tank. Should I wait it out for a little while longer in hopes he will get hungry and start eating the asterinas or should I go out and get a sand sifting star for him to munch on? Was going to get a linckia but my LFS only has the sand sifting. I was also considering getting a chocolate chip and keep it in the sump and lop off a part of its leg every other week (to give it time to regenerate).

ColaAddict
05/12/2011, 11:47 AM
That is one expensive shrimp to feed. good luck getting it to eat.

james-lee
05/12/2011, 02:19 PM
I know ironically I got it for $15. I can get choco stars for $8 and figured I could lop off a leg on alternating stars as some have done. Sucks though cause it is a very nice looking shrimp.

james-lee
05/12/2011, 04:17 PM
Update: I grabbed a 1/2" asterina star and plopped it right ontop of the H. shrimp. He went down town on the thing lol! Hopefully this will encourage him to go hunting at night more often.

windowlicker916
05/12/2011, 04:29 PM
Mine got rid of my asterina stars faster than I expected. I almost wish I still had them so I wouldnt have to feed this pretty shrimp!

I got him his first chocolate star and he wouldnt leave its side for days lol

I was then told about the leg cutting method but wasnt warned to not cut too close to the body....yeah the star fish died.

Sooooo going to try it again this weekend :P

Good luck

james-lee
05/12/2011, 04:53 PM
Haha thanks for the advice! Knowing me I too would have cut too close!

PZengel
05/13/2011, 11:56 AM
just picked up my pair..............

keep an eye on this

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=269501