PDA

View Full Version : Won Brothers Titanium Heater, in sump?

nadking
05/12/2011, 03:24 PM
I was looking at getting this heater but it clearly says on the website it is only for in DT use, not in acrylic sump? I like it because I can hook it up directly to my reefkeeper and know that it will turn on and off when it is suppose to. I do not want a heater in the DT, does anyone think there would be a problem running it in the overflow, attached to the glass? Also, anyone know of any other heaters that do not have an internal temperature controller mechanism, that would work in sump?

moondoggy4
05/12/2011, 05:42 PM
Get a Eheim Ebo Jager heater. Can you post a picture of the heater you want?

snulma1
05/12/2011, 05:55 PM
I know for myself, and others as well, run their heaters in an acrylic sump. So long as you don't leave the heating element directly on the acrylic there will be no issues. I stick mine right where the drain empties and use the suction cups to hold it to the bottom of the tank

nadking
05/12/2011, 11:50 PM
I just went with this one, it's cheaper and dosen't say anything about not being able to be run in sumps

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/miscellaneous/aquarium-heaters/finnex-deluxe-titanium-heating-tubes-heater.html

nanojg
05/13/2011, 08:14 AM
Any heater can work with a controller. I just crank the heater up way past the temp I want and let the controller turn it on and off. That way the internal thermostat of the heater isnt really used.

Malyon18
05/14/2011, 06:20 AM
I would not crank a glass heater way past the desired temperature that the controller is set to, say your controllers temp probe goes out of whack then you have no security. I usually set the glass one a few degrees higher than what the controller is set to just to be on the safe side, I trust the temp probe as much as the internal thermostat.

moondoggy4
05/14/2011, 08:39 AM
I have the mini version of that heater I like it a lot. It has the two rubber feet that keep the heater off the bottom Just be careful not to have wires touch the heater.

studentdriver
05/15/2011, 12:10 AM
Who are the won brothers?

pmrossetti
05/15/2011, 02:07 AM
don't buy anything by Won Bros., very cheaply made stuff.

snorvich
05/15/2011, 04:37 AM
I would not crank a glass heater way past the desired temperature that the controller is set to, say your controllers temp probe goes out of whack then you have no security. I usually set the glass one a few degrees higher than what the controller is set to just to be on the safe side, I trust the temp probe as much as the internal thermostat.

Yep. Double fail safe is best.